fish identification help

Andy_1984

went for a look in the canal a few days ago to see what was happening and i spoted a little white fish about an inch in length and a bit slender with a slightly red tinted belly it was very manouverable and able to reverse and turn on a dime, i noticed it chase after small roach the same size as it and it was very curious as to what i was doing with the big net trying to catch it and tempting it with mashed up chips. another one also showed up.

cant for the life of me figure out what it was as i couldnt get a very detailed look

if anyone has any ideas i could google image it...

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

very very close, but completely White with red in the same spot as sticklebacks but not so much as on its side.

albino stickleback ?

You get really variable colouration - maybe not white (unless afflicted with fungus) but very light beige is quite common.

stickleback_02.jpg

sticklebacks_300.jpeg

Sticklebacks.jpg

(I reckon the last two have been in formalin, mind)

Edited by Steve Walker

Sounds like a phantom fish to me!

White with red sounds like some form of Goldfish/Koi Carp. Could someone have dumped their pets in the canal?

Either that or you've discovered a new species.

could very well be a goldfish its the only thing i can think of as it was a bit lengthy and slim for carp ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk