Fluorescent green liquid draining into my club lake...

richjones

Just got back from my club lake and before I left i noticed a bright green odourless liquid coming from a pipe and into the lake. I saw no distressed fish.

I have phoned the EA to report it, and they said its possible that it is a harmless drain cleaner than councils use.

Anyone have any more info on what it could be, or witnessed this before?

Just got back from my club lake and before I left i noticed a bright green odourless liquid coming from a pipe and into the lake. I saw no distressed fish.

I have phoned the EA to report it, and they said its possible that it is a harmless drain cleaner than councils use.

Anyone have any more info on what it could be, or witnessed this before?

I don't want to make light of what could be a potentially serious pollution incident.

But the only time I gave come across a flourescent green liquid was in a classic 1970's episode of Dr Who - the Green Death!

Don't touch it - it kills! :yucky:

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

There is a fluorescent green dye called fluorescein that's widely used for tracing leaks - it's actually orange, but fluoresces green in sunlight. It's very potent, a little of it goes a very long way. Years ago, I was using a related compound, calcein, to mark the otoliths on some juvenile bass and mullet - it binds to the calcium of the otoliths and leaves a permanent mark. This stuff is harmless, I had a tiny amount dissolved in a bucket of seawater and it was a long, long walk across the estuarine flats to the shore. So I tipped it in the sea and then watched the size of the resulting fluorescent slick in horror - anyone who saw it would have thought there'd been a radioactive spill :lol:

Does it look anything like this?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...;VideoID=123994

I've got some of that for dyeing worms bright green. Dunno if it helps catch more fish but it's good looking at bright green lobworms.

...andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

haha nah i didnt see any turtles or hear any dr who theme tunes on this occasion...!

Yes steve it looked a little like that. like green clouds within the water

Il assume that it was harmless then. Didnt have any real feedback off the EA apart from the usual quick call from a local warden saying 'il go and check it out'.

I was worried about the few hundred pure bred crucians and er.... *cough 3lb roach cough* ahem. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies anyway guys!

I think it's sad that some people seem fit to make comments about it potentially being from a Dr. Who creature or a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

Everyone knows that it's Predator blood.

You did the right thing calling the EA, but it may be worth giving Arnie a bell, too! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE