Daiwa 1657DM

Shanghai Lilly

Guest John Bell
Was thinking of buying a Daiwa 1657DM for general float fishing, I’d be interested to hear your opinions on the reel, One question I have is the clutch, just how smooth and reliable is it? Also how’s the anti reverse set up?

Thanks!

I'm not to sure about the reel you mention, but I use the Diawa Certate Reels, they are more expensive but are a top quality reel - anyway you cant go wrong with Diawa Reels anyway

Go for it shanghai, Great reel.. I have two, got the second one for a fiver !! I have primarily used mine for open end feeder fishing as the bail operation is excellent and " fits my short stubby fingers ! recently used them for waggler work no issues .the handle securing knob is the only minor problem they will break as they are only plastic / polypropolene ? ( not very strong ) dont pay to much, Quick search will give you optiions many links advertising RRP £99.00 dont pay more than £69.00 or use the links on here to take you to e-bay etc. :thumbs:

John, I use a Daiwa 2500 Capricorn for small lures and feeder fishing; I’m delighted with it, goes and goes, trouble free, not so many bells and whistles to go wrong, robust and simple, often think of buying another one and putting bit away, 0nly $114, I’m pretty sure there no longer in production.

KAYC, what kind of bs line are you getting away with? And how’s the clutch and anti reverse?

Hi Shanghai,

All good ! Gears are smooth and powerful, anti reverse is easy to locate and switch back and forth,clutch is smooth and variable. I have mine loaded with maxima 4 and 5lb b/s.

Hi Shanghai,

All good ! Gears are smooth and powerful, anti reverse is easy to locate and switch back and forth,clutch is smooth and variable. I have mine loaded with maxima 4 and 5lb b/s.

Am I right in thinking the anti reverse isn’t instant? The spool is very shallow; I was hoping to squeeze 4lb line on there, sounds like it will be fine.