Reel for feeder fishing

Christy

I decided to purchase the Shimano Alivio RB1000 for float fishing, I just wondered whether it would also be suitale for light feeder fishing?

It has a rear drag feature but doesn't include clip that allows you to quickly change the pressure like Shimano's baitrunner range is this a necessary feature for feeder fishing?

Thanks in advance for helping a newb :D

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Great little reels, and add two £1 (from your local bearing supplier, or £7 from Shimano!) ball bearings for nearly full £30 Nexace spec.

I use my little Alivio 2500 for float and light feeder (6lb line max, short distance), and my Alivio 4000 for anything heavier. You certainly don't need 'Fighting Drag' on a feeder reel, and the 1000 is rated for 6lb line, so although far from ideal, tiring to wind in, and likely to wear out prematurely with feeder use, you could do it.

Geoff

Great little reels, and add two £1 (from your local bearing supplier, or £7 from Shimano!) ball bearings for nearly full £30 Nexace spec.

I use my little Alivio 2500 for float and light feeder (6lb line max, short distance), and my Alivio 4000 for anything heavier. You certainly don't need 'Fighting Drag' on a feeder reel, and the 1000 is rated for 6lb line, so although far from ideal, tiring to wind in, and likely to wear out prematurely with feeder use, you could do it.

Oh so do I just loosen the drag so that it's light enough to allow the fish to run with line when it initially takes my bait, then quickly wind it back tighter after I strike? :huh:

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sorry Christy, appears I didn't read your first post properly, you were talking about the Baitrunner facility and not Fighting Drag! Doh!

The baitrunner facility is mainly used when fishing for larger carp, or some other species (barbel, tench & bream come to mind) using carp techniques, using a fixed or semi-fixed lead, typically of around 2oz, and therefore probably requiring 8lb line, beyond the scope of your reel. This is only one ledgering technique amongst many, I suggest you look at these articles for more information:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/2136

Edited by Angly

Geoff