THANKS

GARYB

Im new to this forum i joined because of the friendly help with fishing.Didnt realise it would also help to solve quite a few niggly problems that i just learned to live with after trying to solve them.So a big thanks to posts that are on here especialy IE8 flash player download problem. :D

We're not a bad bunch :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

well many thanks and youre certainly not a bad bunch. :D .one question how do you get photos down to 100kb tried cropping them but still couldn't reach it for profile :wallbash:

Many thanks Gary

If it's not already 72dpi, then try reducing it to that.

If all else fails, upload it to a site like http://www.tinypic.com/ and post us a link. Someone will sort it for you.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If you are using Windows, and you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager:

Click on "Edit Pictures"

Click on "Resize"

Click on "Predefined width x height"

Select an appropriate size (smaller the size, the smaller the file will be, 800x600 or 640x480 are usually OK)

Click OK.

If you are using The Gimp

Click on Image/Scale Image

Choose width and height as above

Click OK.

With Gimp, when you save as JPEG it also gives you the option of compressing the image more at the expense of quality.

Alternatively, you could try Picasa which is free and looks easy to use, and I am sure will offer the same function.

Thanks for the info i downloaded picasa which is simple to use (suits me).But i tried to update my profile picture ,i got the updated message but no picture.Unless its something i cant do yet being a newbie.Or something im doing wrong being a bit computer illiterate.

There was some word work being done on the forums on Tuesday that may have caused that problem. Try it again and see if it works now.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You need to really reduce the size for a profile pic, too, though if it accepted it at the time it should have been OK. Just lost in the forum changes, I bet.

If all else fails, upload it to a site like http://www.tinypic.com/ and post us a link. Someone will sort it for you.

Elton, dpi has no impact on file size. Try it. Make a 600 x 400 file at 1,000,000 dpi, and a 600 x 400 file a 1 dpi...same size yes? Dpi actually has no meaning until one is ready to print, on monitors and the web the term has no relevance.

Edit.

The only thing that the dpi marker in the file does, is say to printing software 'I want this printed at Xdpi'. However, as almost all decent software ignores the marker, it has no real use their either!

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Just an observation really.

Many users have problems reducing picture sizes.

If they do have the software to do it, they often don't know how.

Anyway it's a pain in the butt going through the procedure to get a picture down to the size required.

And different sites have different maximum sizes.

In a non-techy user-friendly user-centered www world, the site would accept any picture size and reduce it accordingly, without the user having to do anything 'techy' at all.

To be honest, if a site won't accept a link to a picture on Flickr, I just forget it and move on to something else.

Life is too short for fiddling around with changing picture sizes to suit!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust