New con trick

MickJ

Please be aware, if you own business premises of a new con trick.

Yesterday, I received an unsolicited call from a company claiming that, due to new legislation covering business premises. That I had to have a 'Certificate of Compliance' stating that I did not have asbestos present in the building,

The cost £299 + VAT. I was informed that I could recover 100% of this cost in Tax relief. I argued that the maximum for a non capital item was 20%.

At this point the young female caller became flustered and could not continue with the con.

Knowing what a load of rubbish comes out of Brussels, I thought it best to check with my local council's environmental health department. They informed me that no such legislation existed or was in the pipeline, therefore confirming the con.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

Mickj you are required under regulation to hold a register detailing the location and type of asbestos on any premises you own or occupy,(commercial). You are also obliged to samply any suspect material and include this on the register even if it is proved by testing not to be asbestos based.

You are not obliged to label any asbestos found but are required by regular inspection (yearly)to ensure that the material is in good repair, if it is not it must be removed.

just one more cast then I'am off home

Bonzo

But that is if you have asbestos or suspected asbestos in or on your premises.

According to the local council official you do not have to prove you haven't got it.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

If you were carrying out any work that involved say structual alterations or may be redecoration works you have an obligation to ensure that the people carrying out the work are not at risk, thereofore if you can not identify the material you will have to treat it as suspect (asbestos) until testing can prove otherwise.

If you have a look on the HSE web site under the asbestos section this is all detailed there, you will even see photo's of my good self somewhere in the archives

Sorry following on from my last post, the best people to speak to in relation to asbestos are your local hse, no disrespect to the local authority's,but they just do not have the expertise to answer all the questions, failing that you can make contact with one of the sampling labs, testing samples cost approx £25.00 not a great deal of money to prevent a great deal of pain.