Hurricane Rita - what would you do if ...

Newt

Although Rita has lost stregth somewhat, and maybe a Cat 3 on landfall, the storm surge that is being pushed by her was formed when she was full of power, so Cat 4 or 5 storm surge heights are still expected. :(

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for your good wishes for my family in Katy, Texas. My wife spoke to our daughter this morning (USA time) and all was well at that time. During the conversation my daughter started to laugh because the next door neighbor was watering her lawn! Some people!

Hillbilly.

[ 24. September 2005, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: RED HILLBILLY ]

Many thanks for your good wishes for my family in Katy, Texas. My wife spoke to our daughter this morning (USA time) and all was well at that time. During the conversation my daughter started to laugh because the next door neighbor was watering her lawn! Some people!

Hillbilly.

hope all stays well for yours red, after the biggest rainstorm of this summer,roads had turned to rivers & the fire brigade were pumping out basements, i looked in disbelief at the council workers watering the hanging baskets in shepton mallet!

All the media headed to Houston and Galveston and Rita went some way to the east of there, so little is being reported of the damage done on the 'dirty' side of Rita.

And now comes the rain!

So, while the media are reporting this as a 'we got away with it' story, I'm still keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

Tight Lines

ps Glad Rita stayed well away from Katy Red :)

Just watch out in case she swings back to the South West bringing torrential rain.

[ 24. September 2005, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

My wife talked to our daughter this morning. It appears that Rita was a non-event as far as Katy was concerned. Although they had some high winds and heavy rain no damage was done. I thank you all for your best wishes and hope that all the other forum members with family and friends in the hurricane zone have similar news to report.

Hillbilly.

Newt,

Given that Rita is finished as a hurricane, but still has the potential to bring massive flooding, and is vaguely heading in your direction, are you concerned?

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/fcst2.shtml

noaa.gif

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Not really too worried about flooding in areas other than the coastal parts where the storm made landfall Leon. There will be some localized problems but in general, this whole area is too dry rather than too wet right now so plenty of places for the water to go.

an-rita-dry.jpg

Notice the area in the above map showing dry conditions in Texas, Arkansas, etc. and a non-dry area over LA, Tennessee, and others then more dry nearer the coast. Compare that with the track Katrina took as she headed inland and you will notice an interesting pattern.

an-rita-dry2.jpg

[ 25. September 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Seems that Rita had a mind to answer our prayers, skipped to the east to avoid the most heavily populated areas, now keeping on the move as she dies out, rather than simply sitting in one place dumping lots of rain on the people below.

Now some of us might need some prayers to deter the rain gods!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member