Storm soft bodied lures

Tony U

Newt:

Love to hear how you get on with them. I like tubes but had no idea chub might go for them. Interesting.

What sort of rod/reel/line do you use? I stay mostly with baitcasters on 6.5 to 7 ft rods and spooled with 30lb PowerPro but I gather that may not be what most UK lure anglers like.

Newt

Basically the same I use a Quantum 6' QXLC Medium heavy action, 30 lb Berkeley Wiplash and a 4400 Shakespeare/Pflueger Medalist for this sort of work.

I have relatives in Canada and have been using baitcasting gear for longer than I care to remember; at least since I got my first Bobby Orr outfit brought back from Canada by my Gran round about 1967.

It was brilliant for Perch in Killingworth and Bolam Lakes in Northumberland when I was a kid.

[ 20. February 2005, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re River Rother

It was cold very cold about 3°C all day, I tried everything soft bodies, spinnerbaits, plugs spoons small jerkbaits I could not buy a pike; I did get a Bream on a Fox Micro Demon Mini jerkbait. :confused: :confused: :confused:

My partner Sue went even better catching a solitary thumb sized Ruffe on a spinnerbait three times its size.

The only Pike caught were taken by a guy deadbaiting with Sardine who caught three, at last knockings.

[ 20. February 2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I love the Suspending wildeye swim shad's. Not easy to get hold of but one of the best twitch baits I've ever used.

The only problem is they have a hollow hard plastic buble inside the sof body that occasionally leaks a bit. When this happens, they don't suspend anymore.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L - 3 pack for $4

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

sluk - I don't but quite a few on here have ordered from Basspro to the UK so I'm sure one of them will respond and tell you.

With the exchange rate as it is, the $4 is around £2.10.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Not worth spending $4 but if you found about 27 quids worth ($50) of lures and other small items of use then the p&p is likely to be around $15. No VAT and duty at that level

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Tony U,go down the Rother on a high pressure day and you will bag up on soft baits.The Rother responds much better to lures,wobbled deads and especially lives than any dead bait but you got to be fishing in the right conditions.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I know I have had 18 pike in just over three hours on lures before they just were not working yesterday.

That said my biggest fish from there a 23 lbr came on Sardine deadbait and most of the bigger fish appear to come out on deads.

Tony