The Conclusive Answer!

Shanghai Lilly

I would love to hear from those who really know what there talking about, what is the difference between the two aerial reels really. Both I believe are cut on the same machinery, same materials. And the only obvious difference is cosmetic.

Cheers!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to hear from those who really know what there talking about, what is the difference between the two aerial reels really. Both I believe are cut on the same machinery, same materials. And the only obvious difference is cosmetic.

Cheers!

I was planning a full comparison of both reels for Elton to publish in the review section but just haven’t been able to get around to it.

I have a Crouch replica and recently acquired an original more out of curiosity than anything, Fred’s reels are good and I wanted to see whether originals are better.

It’s only when you have one of each side by side that the differences become apparent, the replicas weigh significantly more than the originals, mainly because of Fred’s hefty backplate which alone accounts for 20gm.

There also some differences in construction, the obvious one being the leatherette backplate but also the original has a nice rounded finish to the drum rim, Fred’s is squarer. Coupled with less weight both these factors help to make the Allcocks reel feel a lot nicer in use. Some of the fittings (drag and spool retention forks for example) aren’t stamped as precisely on the replicas and the reel foot is different but these are minor issues.

The best way to think about it is to regard them as two completely different products rather than original & replica. A good original with all paint intact will cost at least £200, a lot more if the box and guarantee are present. Personally I’d need to see the reel before parting with that sort of cash which makes it tricky to actually get your hands on a good one. And then would you want to use it because we all know that in use the paint will simply fall off.

Alternatively you can spend £125 on a replica and get a new reel with a guarantee. It’ll spin well, be perfectly good at what it’s supposed to do and stay black for a long time if looked after. It won’t feel as nice but in their own right Fred’s reels are very good value.

I took the middle ground, bought a cheap well used Allcocks reel and had it fettled by someone who knows what they’re doing. It stands me at £100, has little paint left but I don’t look at it when I’m trotting a float so it feels like new.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I dont have the Fred Crouch Aerial but I do have two nice old Allcocks Match Aerials. I find them a pleasure to use and there is something in knowing that they are old and still work so well, a tribute to the fine engineering at the time.

I do however have a JYoung's wide drum Aerial, the one with the spokes but solid drum. I like the reel, it spins better than the Allcocks but lacks the character and charm of the older reels.

If I had a choice I would always go for the original Allcocks reels if I could afford them and would love one of the older wide drum Aerial reels.

Mind you this comes from a guy who is in love with his split cane rod collection, a total split cane bar stool angler thats too scared to get them bent in anger!

A wonderfully detailed reply Rusty! Many thanks! So the gist of it is, the Crouch reels lack a little finesse in comparison.

I wonder why there painted, if it only comes off. I read a review from the states, and the guy said his Crouch reels finish started flaking and peeling off after just one season. If you wanted to have a bare aluminium finish, what kind of treatment would the reel need?

Hermes; I grow up near Loughton as it happens, do you fish any of the Forest ponds near you? I spent many of my formative angling years fishing the River Roding from Passingford Bridge down to Wanstead, there were few secrets in there, often wonder if there still is. Other favourites were Luxborough Lane, Knights pits and Copped Hall, not the main lake, but poaching the top lake, taking torpedo doubles on floating crust and dodging the keepers. Not forgetting the King George relief channel up near Picks farm, like a concrete river Avon for school boy with a tight buget an a E.18 post code. Great days!

/SL

Guest tigger
The first time I posted this thread it vanished, Elton informed me it was due to a change in server.

Tigger, please post again if you have the time. I never read your initial post.

I have one of the early Crouches my m8's left at our house for me to sell for him along with a spankin Searcher (if anyones interested). It's the early wide drum crinckle back type which to be honest I don't know for sure if it is a Crouch as I belive Shakespear also had a dabble at making them. When you put the two together I don't know if the Allcocks is made of better quality materials or what but it just feels of better quality all over. As Rusty says the rim of the spool is a better shape and I think the paint on the Allcocks is better also along with several other subtle differences. I can't undestand how or why but the older reels seem to have a feel of quality to them (even materials wise) in comparison to more modern reels....maybe the craftsmen of yesteryear where better than those of today. I think Rusty just about sums it up really.

It’s odd; you have a medeoka build replica for £125 or else £400 work of art. Or you can take gamble with an antique.

Do a few small finesses or attention to detail really cost an extra £275?

I’m not really looking for an aerial style reel; I was just interested in compassion. If I could build my own reel it would be;

• 4½inch diameter 3/4inch wide
  • Solid drum (no pillars or spokes)
  • Lever check
  • Plain bearing
  • No plastic
  • Anodised black
  • Minimal ventilation (keep crap out)
  • Strong by not hysterical check
  • End float adjustment
  • No line guard
  • No loc-tight
  • Tension adjustment Akin to the Trudex
  • A set of handsome an easy to maintain handles
  • Tool kit, oil, spare parts, instructions, cardboard box, reel case.

Kind of updated and slightly wider Trudex if you will, I would be happy to part with £250 for such a reel. The closest I could get to day would be the ball bearing action Carter Merlin according Gary Mills.

Guest tigger

Have you looked at the Adcock Stantons ? There a super reel and the latest versions look stunning. I've no doubt you could get 99 percent of your requirements with a new one if you contact the maker but it will be slightly more than the 250 you want to spend. At the end of the day quality comes at a price unless you get lucky ! I have a couple of the stantons in black, a four inch and four and a half inch. Both have drag adjustment and run like a dream.

I very much doubt you'll get a Carter ,merlin for 250 these days......but you never know :)

Have you looked at the Adcock Stantons ? There a super reel and the latest versions look stunning. I've no doubt you could get 99 percent of your requirements with a new one if you contact the maker but it will be slightly more than the 250 you want to spend. At the end of the day quality comes at a price unless you get lucky ! I have a couple of the stantons in black, a four inch and four and a half inch. Both have drag adjustment and run like a dream.

I very much doubt you'll get a Carter ,merlin for 250 these days......but you never know :)

The £250 was just a sensible price I would pay for my hypothetical dream reel. I wonder why the reel makers don’t do Merlin or Trudex type of reels these days??

Just checked the Stanton website out! There a nice piece of fishing tackle, and very nice accessories! I watched the little film as well. Not fond of pillars or ball bearings, the yanks fill them up with backing line, so they get an almost solid drum effect, not my cup of tea really.

So far the updated Bewick is the closest and most realistic contender. I want a good Wallis caster more than a trotting reel at the end of the day. Don’t do a lot of trotting. I’ve read the Alan-Roe review a few times now, and it floats my boat more than any other reel so far.