Caught by the River

Anderoo

I heard this get a mention on Radio 4 this morning. It was set up as an antidote to the crazy and profit-driven music industry, from which many of its contributors come.

http://caughtbytheriver.net/category/caught/

From the main angling page:

to those of you about to mount your choppers with some honey paste wrapped in a wet tea-towel and a pocketful of dough bobbins stuck to a rabbit’s tail, arcadia’s dp wishes you all a bumper 16th

:)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've been signed up to this blog for a while and although not everything they feature is of interest to me, there's certainly enough to keep me looking regularly. A bonus of signing up is that every now and again they send you a weblink for an mp3 download of river/fish-related music (anything from Donovan's "Three Kingfishers" to Hendrix's "Catfish Blues")!

Edit: The downloads are *free*, btw.

Edited by DavyR

Thanks for the info mate. I listen to Radio 4 and have never heard it mentioned before. I also scour the BBC for any fishing related programmes but so far have found very few apart from Martin James's At The Waters Edge podcast every week on BBC Radio 4 Lancashire that makes great fishy listening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/im...gallery.shtml?4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_lancashire/

I also scour the BBC for any fishing related programmes but so far have found very few apart from Martin James's At The Waters Edge podcast every week on BBC Radio 4 Lancashire that makes great fishy listening.

BBC Radio Lancashire, broadcast his show every Thursday evening, and after that it is available with the "Listen Again" feature. I never miss it! Martin is a great, down to earth angler, full of helpful advice.

I emailed him at Radio Lancashire when I first started fishing three years ago, looking for advice on local angling clubs and was immediately invited out for a day with him, fishing for chub on the River Ribble. Since then we've been fishing several times on the Ribble and also on the River Aire over in Yorkshire, and he has been teaching me to do a bit of fluff chucking!

He's as mad as a box of frogs, and had me climbing up and down river banks clingiing onto nettles, rolling under barbed wire fences (ending up face down in a fresh cow pat!) but more importantly, he's taught me a lot about watercraft and conservation.

Top bloke!

Janet

Hi Janet,

Yes your dead right Martin is a top bloke and a real down to earth nice guy. It would be great if he had his own mainstream TV programme wouldnt it!

I have only discovered his excellent BBC Radio show and have only listened to three of his broadcasts so far.

It's true that you can listen again on the BBC iPlayer but but they are only on there for one stingy week!

I emailed Martin last week and was thrilled just to get a reply the same night, I asked him if there was anywhere else that held his programmes for future listening and he forwarded my email to his BBC controller Lynette Horsburgh who sadly admitted that his programmes are only around for a week :(

So, if you just happen to have or know if there are any of his programes about for me to listen to then I would love to hear from you Janet!

I may have a couple of programmes knocking around somewhere, as I taped the ones I was on! Yes, the price I had to pay for a day's guided fishing was to be interviewed for his show!

The first time was about my very first river fishing trip with him, but the second one is the best. I'd told Martin that I'd just read John Aston's fabulous book "A Dream of Jewelled Fishes" and before I knew it he'd invited me for another day out (which stretched to two!) with the author, on the River Ribble over near Clitheroe.

Fantastic!

His shows used to be archived on the Radio Lancashire website, but as you say, they're now only available for a week. Shame.

Janet