Lead Shot

Chris Goddard

Andrew - you might wanna rethink that. She is two years younger than I am - born in 1947. She is also a mean woman.

But if you are really interested .....

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic.

As I remember, way back in history, when the lead shot ban was introduced. Fines were £2,000 for selling it and £200 for being caught using it. These figures are from memory and may not be entirely accurate.

When the ban was first introduced, river board bailiffs, the predecessors of EA bailiffs, were checking terminal tackle to see if you were using lead.

Never heard of anyone being fined though, either for using it or selling it.

Still have a load in the stockroom that I withdrew when the ban came in.

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

Mick there have been several cases of anglers being done for using Lead shot since its ban.Matt Hayes being one (dont know if he actually got fined though?) I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for selling it and still havnt found any evidence of such a law in England.

I will take your surplus of lead shot of you as its not banned in Europe yet and I always use it there as I still think it is far superior and harmless if looked after properly.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

waterman1013:

There will shortly be a European Directive against lead in the environment.

Talks are proceeding about anglers leads through EAA. I suggest you do not invest in too much stock of lead products.

Mike

Mike

That is not exactly true. The EU has commissioned a study of the impacts of prohibiting the use of lead in ammunition, angling weights and (of all things) candle wicks. I have undertaken a critique of the first draft of that research report for the European Anglers Alliance (EAA)and the European Fishing Tackle Trade Association (EFTTA). I am about to do the same with the final version.

The EU Commission may or may not accept the report's finding, and they may chose to act on them (or not).

If they do both accept the findings and act, this would take the form of a Directive - which would take some time to prepare. It is likely to ask member states to phase out lead in angling weights over a 3-5 year period, although manufacturers would be given at least this period to carry this out. The Directive could prohibit one or more of the following: lead weight manufacture, sale, possession or use.

Of course, the UK Government could refuse to abide by any such Directive, usually by derogation (i.e. there are 'get out' clauses).

As Denmark is the only other EU country with an angling lead ban - and that came in only recently - it seems probable that the UK position would be the template. It could be extended upwards, for weights of 1oz or more; it is unlikely to cover dust and micro-shot... a point I have made forceably is for their retention as non-lead alternatives are not available and are extremely difficult to manufacture.

I agree that, long term, the deployment of lead into the environment is likely to be restricted or even banned, but that's a way off yet.

Interestingly, several US states have prohibited lead angling weights because of apparent poisoning of loons (great northern divers to us, the large, diving birds). But that prohibition is on the sale of lead, not its use!

[ 14. March 2005, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

My impression was that lead is allowed but only if it's incorperated within the fabric of a lure, float or other similar accessory.

The size limit of 28 grams is interesting though bacause as far as leads are concerned, it's almost imposible to buy leads (that are actually made of lead) of less than twice that weight once you get away from the coast.

I well remember Richard Walker arguing that lead in shot was not suluble and therefore didn't pose a danger to swans. I don't think he'd really thought through what happens when the shot is picked up and used as a gastrolith (grinding stone) in a birds crop and then exposed to stomack acids and all sorts of other nasties.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 4 weeks later...

I`ve been playing about casting lead free pewter carp weights in USA sourced moulds of 1/8oz to 4oz

Findings are that - the molten metal casts well at low temps than with lead producing detailed finished weights

Leads are hard and resist damage,approx 25% weight loss (ie.4oz mould needed for 3oz weight)

Alloy can be either scrap metal or bought from model shops.

It`ll be the sea and boat anglers i reckon who`ll suffer the most from any ban on lead derived weights.