WET, WINDY, COLD AND HORRID!

Janet

Honestly, why couldn't I just have taken up knitting? Four o'clock in the morning and what am I doing? Staggering around bleary-eyed riddling maggots when all sensible women should be in the land of Nod, dreaming of Brad Pitt…

Still, I'd been told in no uncertain terms that I was going fishing, whether I liked it or not. Fishing buddy? More like fishing bully….

Although we weren't going up at stupid o'clock, I needed to get up early to pack all the accoutrements for a civilised luncheon in the cabin…huge pan of beef stew and dumplings (I was under instructions that we HAD to have dumplings…), fresh ground coffee, filter coffee maker, cutlery, crockery, place mats, napkins, tablecloth….you think I'm joking? You'll see….

We didn't leave as early as usual, as there are now restrictions in place as to when you can and can't leave – for instance, you're not allowed to arrive after eleven pm, and you can't leave before 6.00am. This rule has always been in place, but has tended to be overlooked in the past, but now the farmer who we lease the rights from has decided that now that the lambing season is over, he'd quite like a lie-in instead of being kept awake by cars rattling over the cattle grid and the clanging of the gates. Can't say that I blame him!

I'd love to say that the lake was calm and mirror-like when we arrived, but unfortunately not. It was blowing an absolute hoolie! The wind was gusting from all directions, so it was impossible to find somewhere comfortable. I tried to find a peg where I'd have the wind at my back, but no sooner did I find somewhere than it changed direction. Oh well, nothing for it except to pick a spot and go for it! Ashley was already there when we arrived, along with Ben, an angler I hadn't met before.

Paul opted to fish peg 8, so I decided to fish peg 5 – Paul's usual peg, and one I hadn't fished before (never having had the chance as he was always on it!) I'd have liked to fish my favourite peg and try for the huge bream that we saw on our last trip, but I really wanted to get my brolly up to shield me from the wind, and the peg is just too small. The only way I can peg my brolly down there is to sit well back and that would have meant blocking the path round the lake, which would have been a bit inconsiderate as well as being against our club rules.

Oh well, peg 5 it was then - could I show Paul how this, his favourite peg should be fished? You'll have to wait and see!

Because of the wind I was really struggling with my brolly, so Ashley came round to give me a hand, bringing a handy rubber mallet to help me bash the pole in and peg it down. What a waste of time that was! For a short time all was looking good. I had a bit of shelter, so started to put my chair up, attach all the bits and bobs and then went round to collect some maggots from Paul, who had picked them up from the tackle shop for me. So far so good, except….where was my brolly? Looking over to my peg, there was no sign of it! I dashed back round to find that the wind had been so strong that the pole had bent at right angles, and the brolly was leaning backwards – it was clear that it was going to be neither use nor ornament, so after throwing a bit of a hissy fit, (they could hear the clang at the other side of the lake as I threw the pole to the ground in disgust!) I packed it away in my rod bag and decided that I'd just have to sit it out and pray that it didn't rain!

I've recently been lucky enough to have won a rather nice Abu Garcia Suveran feeder rod in a raffle, so I'd been intending to use this instead of my usual float rod, but luckily, although the wind was gusting madly, there was a reasonably calm area of water stretching to about six feet out from the peg, which was perfect for me, as I always fish in the margins anyway, so I decided to stick to my favourite float rod and my very favourite method. I couldn't really do it any other way now, as if I cast any further out I get comments such as "Bloody hell Janet, you're being a bit daring aren't you?"

I'd left my float rod all set up in its bag, so it was a simple matter of assembling it and then I was ready…or perhaps not! I know that I'd left it all neat and tidy in the bag, but as I took it out and removed the hook from the keeper ring, I managed to hook my finger. On releasing it and accidentally letting go, a sudden mad gust of wind left me with the most horrendous tangle. I had line wrapped round the rod, round the reel and the hook was stuck in the back of my jacket collar! I spent ten minutes trying to untangle the bird's nest before cutting my losses (and my line) and tackling up again. The waves on the water were just a bit too much for my usual waggler, so I opted for a Middy windbeater float – more of that later!

Cue hissy fit number two, when I almost stomped back to the cabin to sit and sulk for a while. Nothing, but nothing was going right! I had a buggered brolly, a sore finger and to cap it all, the top section of my double sided tackle box decided that it preferred to be alone….I really wasn't having a good start to the day!

In the end it took me well over an hour to be ready and able to cast in and start fishing. My blood pressure was through the roof and by this time I was in no mood for anything. Breathe in….breathe out….and relax…..

Luckily the lake didn't let me down, and before too long my float sailed away, leaving me with a nice little roach to start me off. Suddenly the day was starting to look a little brighter! That was soon followed by another slightly larger roach, possibly the largest I've ever had from here. Roy, thought it may possibly have been an Ide, but no, it was definitely a roach! If the weather hadn't been so bad I may have taken it round to Paul to weigh it, but I was content just to see it!

Ashley was a very willing brew maker during the morning (mainly so he had an excuse to get out of the wind for a while) and Paul supplied breakfast of bacon toasties which went down a treat! The fishing was slow, and made rather difficult as the wind speed increased, causing breakers on the shore and a slight attack of nausea – I was getting slightly seasick!

However, my windbeater float was performing well, although sometimes it was hard to tell what was an actual bite and what was just movement from the wind. I was left in no doubt about one of them though – my float suddenly rose up about two inches from the surface and I could see the black and white markings on the stem….what was that all about? Don't just look at it Janet – strike! I felt solid resistance, and knew that I had something, but what? All of a sudden the fish decided to show itself and leapt out of the water in a graceful arc….well, as graceful as a big bream can be! The bream in here are really feisty at the moment, and this one was no exception. Only about three pounds, but a nice fish nevertheless. Rather than targeting bream, I think the bream target me! I'm sure they know how I hate to handle them. Luckily this one shook the hook in the net so I didn't have to get covered in slime. Yuk!

I had to leave my peg at one point as Paul landed a rather nice tench, so I had to nip round for a photo and make sure that he wasn't exaggerating. It wasn't huge by the standards of some lakes, but a very nice fish for here, and he was quite rightfully delighted with it. As we had to explain later in the day to a couple of anglers who had been directed to the lake with a view to joining the club, this is purely just a small mixed coarse fishing lake. Although we have some decent fish, including carp to over 20lbs, they are very few and far between. It's all relative to the water, isn't it?

NICETENCH.jpg

Ben, with one of Paul's tench

As usual, the wildlife was out in abundance, including a raucous crow that perched in a tree above me and wouldn't shut up. If I was any good with a catapult, it wouldn't have survived! The first lot of baby moorhens are looking good and getting much more daring, with one coming within just a few feet of my float. They're almost as big as their parents now. The moorhens have also hatched another brood in the last few days or so, which meant we were distracted for most of the day, trying to count these little black fluffballs! I think the final count was eight, but they kept shuffling themselves….

BABYMOORHEN.jpg

It wasn't long before I heard the usual comments about the lack of waitress service, so I reeled in and headed off to the cabin to rustle up some lunch. I know my place….We were all in need of a break from the wind and the chill. Normally it's nice and calm and we can chat to each other from our respective pegs, but the wind was so bad that even shouting meant that communication was almost impossible. This was a nice chance to sit, chat, warm up a bit and refresh ourselves ready for the rest of the day. Home-made and piping hot beef stew with dumplings (don't forget the dumplings!)

LUNCH.jpg

Now, I hope they don't expect this sort of treatment every time, but it was well worth it for the look on Ben's face when he saw the cabin. I think he thought he'd entered some sort of parallel universe! We had a nice lunch, followed by freshly brewed coffee and a chat. I notice that they didn't start to slag me off until AFTER they'd been served, when it seemed to become a "Let's have a pop at Janet session….." I was thoroughly ridiculed and teased….bless them…..they don't know any better….I'll get my revenge!

FISHINGBUDDIES.jpg

Left to right - Roy, Paul, Ben & Ashley - (a motley crew if ever I saw one!)

Lunch over, it was back to the lake for a spot more fishing….and more big bream for me! I managed to land another three, increasing in size and sliminess every time, with the best being about four pounds. I also hooked into something that took off like a rocket and left me totally broken and baffled…my float went under and the fish headed out into the centre of the lake towards the lily pads before veering to the right and trying to dive into the reeds at the side….I managed to stay in control and get the fish back into open water when I felt that awful "ping" as hook and fish parted company. This thing was much more powerful than I'd thought! I did manage to retrieve my hook and float….what was left of it! It was cleanly snapped in half! One half was still on the line….I rescued the remainder with my landing net. I told you that we had barracudas in here, didn't I?

Float.jpg

All in all it was a good day for me, despite the inclement weather and the rather dodgy company. Nice to see Roy, as usual (he's a permanent fixture!) and to also meet Ben for the first time. It was a pleasure, and I hope we meet up again. The lake is going to seem very lonely now, as Roy us off on his annual travels to the USA shortly, leaving us to fend for ourselves...Roy! How could you - if you're not there to act as referee, then anything could happen! Very selfish of you to take yourself off when we need you!

We intended to fish until about four, but in the end stayed until about six….after all, Paul was playing catch-up and I needed to give him a chance to get even. The heavens opened as we were packing up and I was glad that I'd already got all my stuff packed away....

We had a bit of fun with Ashley, Paul's son, as he was stupid enough to leave a baited hook in the water as he nipped round to the next peg to collect some bait. Kids! Will they ever learn? Cue waders and a bit of distraction! Sorry about the soundtracks, but I had to bleep out the expletives!

Final score? Janet 13, Paul 2 ... although I'd swap mine for his any day – his were far better fish, but I won on points, with more fish on the bank....

…..don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Janet

Edited to put names to the faces.

Edited by Janet

Janet - your fishing tales keep getting better and better and long may they continue. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for that kind comment dapper64! Much appreciated.

I tend to keep my stories purely for AnglersNet - after all, without the help I've received from the guys on this site I would still be fishless and clueless! (I was going to say witless and gormless, but that goes without saying....)

Thanks to the encouragement I've received from my posts on AN, I now write a monthly angling column for a local newspaper, and I am working on a small book of stories which I hope to publish to raise money for a local charity.

However, if you want to see some really entertaining fishing writing from one of our members, check out our very own Vagabond's book "Angling Vagabond"....it's well worth a read!

Janet

after being a voyeur of your stories for a long time now, its time i gave a shout out as its now pretty much all i look in for. them and the tech forum

keep up the excellent writing

Jim

ps. is it members only on that little lake of yours ?

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

Jim - yes, it is purely a members only club, and no day tickets are issued, although the rules allow us to take family members as guests. Currently I think we have approximately about 50 members, but only about a dozen or so seem to fish it regularly. Membership starts in November each year and there is a waiting list. I consider myself very lucky to get in!

We have two ponds...the main one, which is my preferrred place, and the back pond, which is much deeper and holds the larger fish. Personally I don't fish it much, as I don't find it as aesthetically pleasing as the main lake. It is purely and simply a mixed coarse fishery so you won't find any specimens, although rumour has it that there are a few biggies...that's rumour only mind! I've yet to see one!

We fish it more for the fun, the company and the banter...it wouldn't suit everyone, but it certainly suits me! I have absolutely no interest in catching larger and larger fish every time. I just want to go out, catch some fish and have some good company....this little place ticks all the boxes for me!

It's never predictable - on my first visit as a guest, two of us caught 13 different species....you never quite know what's going to put a bend in your rod.

Janet