Fuji cameras

Janet

Apologies Janet for the thread hijacking, I'm just trying to get my brain in focus

No need to apologise Rob....although I am now seriously confuddled about the whole business, but I'm learning as I go...I think...?

The cameras have all been sold, so I'm no longer looking at buying one, but I still value the comments on here.

Please, all of you, continue to post with your opinions as it is all valuable information for me! Hopefully I'll make sense of it in the end!

Janet

As Chesters says pixels per inch is a printing thing. I don't quite follow you when you say 300 dpi for example (except I do know what it stands for). A digital image is as big as you want it to be and a 'dot' is equivalent to a pixel is it not ? All other things being equal more dots per inch = more pixels per inch = more MP. Now in my simple brain, the image therefore is a product of the resolution, or the number of sensors the camera has to pick up the images. Smaller sensor size generally = lower quality for the same amount of pixels and then other things like software processing, quality of the glass etc all come into play.

Apologies Janet for the thread hijacking, I'm just trying to get my brain in focus :wacko:

Rob.

I am backing out of this one before it kicks off, I'm not going to be in the middle like the RAW/Exif fiasco. Yes its a printing thing, I am a time served printer, the spec., on a camera states clearly, XXX no. of pixels per inch, I assume that relates to; Y inches x Y inches at 300dpi = XXXX mega pixels = a print Z" x Z".

As I say thats it, I'm out of here.

SW

I am backing out of this one before it kicks off

Excuse me? There will be no kicking off on MY thread thank you very much or else there will be some spanked arses! :rolleyes:

I can't claim to understand much of it yet, but slowly....very slowly, I'm learning. You all have your different opinions, which is how it should be...that's what a forum is about, and so far this one has been an absolute mine of information. This thread alone has taught me a lot, as I've had to delve into pixels, DPI and other scary stuff that I never thought I needed to know. Point and shoot? Yeah, right! :o

All input is very gratefully received...whether I quite understand it is a different matter but it's good to hear the diverging views from more competent photographers....

Janet

Excuse me? There will be no kicking off on MY thread thank you very much or else there will be some spanked arses! :rolleyes:

I can't claim to understand much of it yet, but slowly....very slowly, I'm learning. You all have your different opinions, which is how it should be...that's what a forum is about, and so far this one has been an absolute mine of information. This thread alone has taught me a lot, as I've had to delve into pixels, DPI and other scary stuff that I never thought I needed to know. Point and shoot? Yeah, right! :o

All input is very gratefully received...whether I quite understand it is a different matter but it's good to hear the diverging views from more competent photographers....

Janet

I think in the very broadest of terms we all agree that more MP does not equal better photographs. It's all about semantics and understanding the technicalities. In simple terms I'm a canon fan so when I upgrade I'll read the reviews of those who know better than me as to what is best - or rather what functions and capabilities the camera has. I.e. what model has what I want from a camera and what does it have that I really don't want. I've sort of made up my mind, I'm just price watching for now, to see when I should splash out the cash. Then I'll have to decide whether to sell the old one, or keep it as a backup...

Rob.