any cumbrian yak fishers out there

markco

hi ive just caught the bug and im 2 weeks away from collecting my first yak,any advice about yak fishing in cumbria would be much appreicated ,i paln on mainly sea fishing but fancy a try at the pike in the lakes.are there any cumbrian yak fishers out there ?cheers mark.

hi ive just caught the bug and im 2 weeks away from collecting my first yak,any advice about yak fishing in cumbria would be much appreicated ,i paln on mainly sea fishing but fancy a try at the pike in the lakes.are there any cumbrian yak fishers out there ?cheers mark.

Think its just you and me marko ha ha!! Where abouts do you intend to fish? I am from Eskmeals, just south of Ravenglass Estuary. I have had quite a few goes for the pike on Coniston and it is SUPERB! It surprised me how hard fighting they are to be honest! I always imagined they would be pretty lame but NOT so ha ha!!

All the best

Dave (SeadooDavid) :sun:

post-6361-1210448261_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1210448316_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1210448343_thumb.jpg

Think its just you and me marko ha ha!! Where abouts do you intend to fish? I am from Eskmeals, just south of Ravenglass Estuary. I have had quite a few goes for the pike on Coniston and it is SUPERB! It surprised me how hard fighting they are to be honest! I always imagined they would be pretty lame but NOT so ha ha!!

All the best

Dave (SeadooDavid) :sun:

alright mate from whitehaven so ile stick to that area not too far from shore to begin with but would love to try some of the more difficult marks like st bees head when my paddel skills are up to it :rolleyes: but when weather turns hope to do a bit of pike fishing in the lakes clostest is bassenthwaite but not to sure if its allowed? well from a yak that is .any info u have regarding various venues round cumbria would be much appreicated,never done any fresh water fishing either so advice would be welcome there to,anyhow im glad to find theres another cumbrian yaker out there so im not the only mad one out there :thumbs: hope you keep in touch mate some lockal knowalege could be invaluble for a bigenner like me cherres mark.

alright mate from whitehaven so ile stick to that area not too far from shore to begin with but would love to try some of the more difficult marks like st bees head when my paddel skills are up to it :rolleyes: but when weather turns hope to do a bit of pike fishing in the lakes clostest is bassenthwaite but not to sure if its allowed? well from a yak that is .any info u have regarding various venues round cumbria would be much appreicated,never done any fresh water fishing either so advice would be welcome there to,anyhow im glad to find theres another cumbrian yaker out there so im not the only mad one out there :thumbs: hope you keep in touch mate some lockal knowalege could be invaluble for a bigenner like me cherres mark.

Hi Marra :D

No problem, good to see another yakker in gods county!!

No problems on Bassenthwaite as far as I know but I prefer Coniston as I have sussed where the pike are ha ha (Thanks to Nifty)

There is a guy who looks on this site now and again originally from St Bees and will be able to give you some good advice on that area (he may see this and reply) :thumbs:

I have had some nice Pollock from St Bees, close in around the rocks of the head so you should do well!. The surf can be problematic at St Bees getting in / out but calm settled weather is fine! I intend to hit Coniston and Windermere a fair bit this summer so if you wanna meet up then no problem (or indeed our coast line!!) Safety in numbers and all that :thumbs:

My pike fishing skills are limited but I have had some great instruction from another site user and am more than happy to pass it on!

You will be able to send Private Messages (PM's) after 15 / 16 posts, so keep posting questions and letting us know how you do to get the numbers in! (I will PM you my mobile!) Also if you are at all unsure about your first few paddles out than let me know and will see if I can make it up there (if I am off wuk!!) :yucky:

I was out Sat and Sunday and have a frezer full now mate :thumbs: Corking weekend although am kerry packered now ha ha! Keep in touch and let us know how you do if you do get out!

Dave~~~~ :sun:

Hi Marra :D

No problem, good to see another yakker in gods county!!

No problems on Bassenthwaite as far as I know but I prefer Coniston as I have sussed where the pike are ha ha (Thanks to Nifty)

There is a guy who looks on this site now and again originally from St Bees and will be able to give you some good advice on that area (he may see this and reply) :thumbs:

I have had some nice Pollock from St Bees, close in around the rocks of the head so you should do well!. The surf can be problematic at St Bees getting in / out but calm settled weather is fine! I intend to hit Coniston and Windermere a fair bit this summer so if you wanna meet up then no problem (or indeed our coast line!!) Safety in numbers and all that :thumbs:

My pike fishing skills are limited but I have had some great instruction from another site user and am more than happy to pass it on!

You will be able to send Private Messages (PM's) after 15 / 16 posts, so keep posting questions and letting us know how you do to get the numbers in! (I will PM you my mobile!) Also if you are at all unsure about your first few paddles out than let me know and will see if I can make it up there (if I am off wuk!!) :yucky:

I was out Sat and Sunday and have a frezer full now mate :thumbs: Corking weekend although am kerry packered now ha ha! Keep in touch and let us know how you do if you do get out!

Dave~~~~ :sun:

allreet marra ha never thought ide see that on a yak forum ,would love to take up your offer of a meet in the future dave thanks but first of all im gonna build up me confidance on local lake first couple of times then hit the shore close in at first to get my paddeling skills tuned in then after that a meet would be great especialy stbees or braystones ?or ive heard the estuary down in ravenglass fishes well? anyhow ile kep posting to get them numbers up cheers mark.

allreet marra ha never thought ide see that on a yak forum ,would love to take up your offer of a meet in the future dave thanks but first of all im gonna build up me confidance on local lake first couple of times then hit the shore close in at first to get my paddeling skills tuned in then after that a meet would be great especialy stbees or braystones ?or ive heard the estuary down in ravenglass fishes well? anyhow ile kep posting to get them numbers up cheers mark.

No problem mate :thumbs: Good to see someone sensible trying it all out slowly before going on a bigger "mission" ha ha Gud on ya!. Just south of ravenglass is where I yak / fish / live :thumbs: great area IMO :) Just tucked into mi plaice from sunday! yum!! (from said estuary!) Post up a few piccies of your first catch :thumbs:

All the best

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Hows ta deurn lad?Bass Lake is a good place to start-its quiet so nobody can see you if you make a d*ck of yourself!!!Tickets are available from the Pheasant Inn. £6-00 per day or £68-50 for a season. This covers you for your boat as well. The easiest spot to launch is at Piel Wyke, its got a good slipway and tha can git t'motor reet doon to t'watter.Fishing is generally good for pike and perch but the size of the pike has declined in recent years, with a 10 pounder being a good fish now. But as SeaDooDavid was saying about Coniston, they go like stink!!!Most of the boat men troll lures, flies or deadbaits, and on good days I've had 8 or 10 pike, and loads of decent perch.See you there sometime MarraRoger ,
Hows ta deurn lad?Bass Lake is a good place to start-its quiet so nobody can see you if you make a d*ck of yourself!!!Tickets are available from the Pheasant Inn. £6-00 per day or £68-50 for a season. This covers you for your boat as well. The easiest spot to launch is at Piel Wyke, its got a good slipway and tha can git t'motor reet doon to t'watter.Fishing is generally good for pike and perch but the size of the pike has declined in recent years, with a 10 pounder being a good fish now. But as SeaDooDavid was saying about Coniston, they go like stink!!!Most of the boat men troll lures, flies or deadbaits, and on good days I've had 8 or 10 pike, and loads of decent perch.See you there sometime MarraRoger ,

Hows ta deurn lad?Bass Lake is a good place to start-its quiet so nobody can see you if you make a d*ck of yourself!!!Tickets are available from the Pheasant Inn. £6-00 per day or £68-50 for a season. This covers you for your boat as well. The easiest spot to launch is at Piel Wyke, its got a good slipway and tha can git t'motor reet doon to t'watter.Fishing is generally good for pike and perch but the size of the pike has declined in recent years, with a 10 pounder being a good fish now. But as SeaDooDavid was saying about Coniston, they go like stink!!!Most of the boat men troll lures, flies or deadbaits, and on good days I've had 8 or 10 pike, and loads of decent perch.See you there sometime MarraRoger , Hows ta deurn lad?Bass Lake is a good place to start-its quiet so nobody can see you if you make a d*ck of yourself!!!Tickets are available from the Pheasant Inn. £6-00 per day or £68-50 for a season. This covers you for your boat as well. The easiest spot to launch is at Piel Wyke, its got a good slipway and tha can git t'motor reet doon to t'watter.Fishing is generally good for pike and perch but the size of the pike has declined in recent years, with a 10 pounder being a good fish now. But as SeaDooDavid was saying about Coniston, they go like stink!!!Most of the boat men troll lures, flies or deadbaits, and on good days I've had 8 or 10 pike, and loads of decent perch.See you there sometime MarraRoger ,
cheers for the reply mate or marra wheres though fra? thanks for the advice any chance of some more?ei does float fishing for pike work on bass and if so what depth and bait sandell maccy fillet? or other? also what sort of lures for casting anyother info would be much appreciated ,times of day,connditions,secret marks??the idea of it beeing quiet appeles mate as im sure ile end up out of the yak with me landing net on me head and a 10lb pike towing me up and down the lake cheers mark.

hi Marko ,

I am the chap SDD was on about :) Not much time at the moment but i'll pm you when I get a moment

thanks for reply mate would be good to here from yer ,not sure i can recive pms yet or send them either .