Crayfish Cuisine

The Flying Tench

We have a problem in Newbury with Signal crayfish, as I know is also true in much of the country. Quite often you see traps out for them which is good; but I've never seen them on the menu in the local pubs. We went out for a pub lunch today, and it would have been good to have crayfish - I'm told they taste good, and I'd have had the additional satisfaction of knowing they were not in the river! Has anyone eaten them, or seen them on menus or for sale?

john clarke

sorry flying tench i forgot to put that they are indeed very nice to eat, where i am they smack them straight on to a flat hotplate called a "plancha". they sprinkle a bit of oil and salt over the top and thats it!

dave.

[ 15. June 2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: captain cojones ]

Signals dropped into a pan of salted boiling water and then simmered with the gas hardly on for five minutes gives delicious cooked crays. Left to cool and then eaten they make a good meal as you can eat the claws and the tail, removing the waste pipe before eating.

Obviously all the above is just conjecture if you know what I mean as it is illegal to trap crays in this country(pats stomach and burps)and no-one I know does such a thing

- 50 lbs potatoes

- 50 lbs live crays

- Crab Boil (a seasoning mix used when you toss crabs into boiling water - if you don't have it, I can give details)

- Large pot of water

Add potatoes and enough water to cover them and the crays you will add later.

Bring the water to a rolling boil and toss in the crab boil seasoning. Cook until the potatoes are nearly done.

Toss in the crayfish. They need about 3-4 minutes cooking.

Remove from heat and either serve or else just let folks dip out what they want. Best done with plenty of beer to drink and plenty of friends to help with the eating. Also best if you can do the cooking outside.

Note that when you remove the tail section (where the meat is) there is some goo in the head section that is wonderful. Just suck on the head and it will pop right out.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You can buy them live in the southern US. Very tasty! Good catfish bait too.

Here and Here

Newt should definitely be able to add his two cents. Spoke too soon. :D

[ 15. June 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

The Sainsburys ones are good, with a nice Puttanesca sauce and some pasta.

I expect that fresh out of the stream/pot is better but I ain't got time. :)