Otter Park Proposal A Serious Threat To Fisheries In Cheshire

The following information was sent to us by Simon Slater, a member of the committee of Northwich Anglers Association. You can add your support to

Click here to view the full article

Try our newTackle & Bait Finder
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fishingtackle/

Grab yourself an amazing bargain at http://www.cheap-bargains.co.uk/

USING THE LINKS ABOVE IS A WAY THAT YOU CAN HELP KEEP ANGLERS' NET FREE!

The following information was sent to us by Simon Slater, a member of the committee of Northwich Anglers Association. You can add your support to

Click here to view the full article

Probably raise a stink again but what the hell. Otters are our native predators and maintain manageable fish stocks in a balanced fishery.

A bit of a shame that the writer of the article (Mark Leathwood) didn't read the proposals properly first before blethering on about re-introductions of otters etc.............none proposed, just habitat improvement! I did access the petition page to see if he had an e-mail contact but not available! Also a bit worrying that a bloke with an attitude like this is employed as head bailiff!

This ignorant ranting by some anglers is going to give us all a bad name amongst the antis and probably a fair proportion of the public who do have angling sympathies.

All a bit sad really, moaning about (non-exixtent) re-introductions of otters to waters that have been stocked (and overstocked so as to exacerbate bacterial infections in bream and roach on their waters), if they managed to get beyond the anachronistic anthropomorphism of the people who call their pet carp 'Cricket Bat', 'Bully', 'Lumpy' and 'Penelope' and looked at real life they'd probably see the bigger picture!

Oh, and whilst they are moaning about introductions they have just created another three ponds and filled them full of carp.

I will leave with one of the author's (Mark Leathwood) quotes but request that you substitute predatory animal for carp!

"You cannot simply reintroduce a predatory animal into an environment which has changed beyond recognition, and hope that everything will be alright. It won't!"

Obviously missing the point of the whole idea of restoration of river habitat!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Probably raise a stink again but what the hell

Not so much a stink but an ill informed reply, you are obviously entitled to your opinion on Otters but let me correct a few a things you have innaccuratley portrayed.

A bit of a shame that the writer of the article (Mark Leathwood) didn't read the proposals properly first before blethering on about re-introductions of otters etc.............none proposed, just habitat improvement!

Mark read thoroughly the proposal and whilst it doesn't directly state Otters are to be introduced it does refer to the Otter Bio-diversity plan which does. Also by creating a new habitat ('Park') which isn't currently there, numbers of Otters could be increased into an area that normally wouldn't sustain that many. As an angler I'm all for keeping a balanced eco system that fits naturally but the proposals here are to CREATE something by human intervention which the eco system may not support.

I did access the petition page to see if he had an e-mail contact but not available!

You obviously went onto the main website where there is plenty of ways of contacting either Mark or the club!

This ignorant ranting by some anglers is going to give us all a bad name amongst the antis and probably a fair proportion of the public who do have angling sympathies.

The use of ignorant is incorrect and could be levied against yourself.

Oh, and whilst they are moaning about introductions they have just created another three ponds and filled them full of carp.

Factually 100% incorrect. No Carp (Crucians excepted) have been stocked as it is close to the River Dane, and we wouldn't Carp being stocked artificially in there (sorry couldn't ignore that bit of flippancy!!)

These 3 pools have transformed a previously derelict area with the help and financial support of the EA. We are encouraging junior and less able anglers to participate in our sport. The stocking levels of these pools have been achieved from EA advice and don't mirror some commercial stocking densities. Surely as an angler you should appreciate our commitment to our sport/pass time on this development!

I will leave with one of the author's (Mark Leathwood) quotes but request that you substitute predatory animal for carp!

"You cannot simply reintroduce a predatory animal into an environment which has changed beyond recognition, and hope that everything will be alright. It won't!"

Obviously missing the point of the whole idea of restoration of river habitat!

Now you have seen my answers you may wish to reconsider!

Not so much a stink but an ill informed reply, you are obviously entitled to your opinion on Otters but let me correct a few a things you have innaccuratley portrayed.

Perhaps better informed than your head bailiff.

Mark read thoroughly the proposal and whilst it doesn't directly state Otters are to be introduced it does refer to the Otter Bio-diversity plan which does. Also by creating a new habitat ('Park') which isn't currently there, numbers of Otters could be increased into an area that normally wouldn't sustain that many. As an angler I'm all for keeping a balanced eco system that fits naturally but the proposals here are to CREATE something by human intervention which the eco system may not support.

There are no current plans to re-introduce otters in the UK especially not under the UKBAP. By creating habitat it clearly states improving fish spawning areas. Now if there is no food to support breeding otters they will not go there just because the rest of the habitat is good.

The proposal is to RE-CREATE something destroyed by Human intervention. The habitat improvement works are there to improve the eco-system as a whole. The otters will move in WHEN the system is at a level that supports them as an apex predator. The whole article by Mark was biased to imply that otters will flood in immediately and eat all of the club's fish.

You obviously went onto the main website where there is plenty of ways of contacting either Mark or the club!

but not on the petition site which is why I started the reply on AN.

The use of ignorant is incorrect and could be levied against yourself.

Not if he didn't know the facts or chose to misinterpret them, it seems like one or the other. As I said before for a head bailiff not to understand how a predator can keep a natural fishery healthy is rather beyond belief. For an angling club to petition against natural habitat improvements because they might interfere with commercial benefits is just sad and misguided.

Not how I would have done things when I was a water bailiff so no, not ignorant.

These 3 pools have transformed a previously derelict area with the help and financial support of the EA. We are encouraging junior and less able anglers to participate in our sport. The stocking levels of these pools have been achieved from EA advice and don't mirror some commercial stocking densities. Surely as an angler you should appreciate our commitment to our sport/pass time on this development!

But no different in principal to allowing otters to return so why support one and damn another?

Now you have seen my answers you may wish to reconsider!

I am fortunate to live in an area of the country that has always had a population of otters. Numbers have increased over the years and now they are positively abundant. The fishing on the rivers has improved SINCE the increase in otters in both average size of fish caught and the number of fish caught. The fish are healthy and of course you get the added enjoyment of seeing otters.

Positive management of the rivers by the EA, angling clubs and charities has meant that habitats have improved for the fish thereby raising populations to levels that will support predator populations. Simple, well worked conservation as nature intended.

It's sad that the majority of people who 'blame' otters for all fish woes seem to be those that fish artificially stocked waters. Those that fish predominantly natural waters seem to have fewer 'problems' with otters and other predators. Sort the habitat out and the rest will take care of itself...........unless of course you overstock and don't protect your investment with fencing.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I am only going to reply this once as I believe from your last reply we are not a million miles away in our thoughts, and I have got better things to do than read your cavils.

The UK BAP have a continued plan of re-introduction until 2010.

Your latest response kinds of fudges the issues between the wider view and our petition. The UK BAP and other organisations do a lot of good work and we support other similar animal welfare organisations that do good work to the environment in our County and further afield.

The point you seem to be missing is that Otters have re-established themselves in a small part in Cheshire. What we are against is this creation of an environment that was never there and as such increase the population further than what it once was leading to potential problems extending away from the Weaver catchment area.

Believe me when I say we have reviewed and discussed this for quite sometime with a number of bodies where you may have made a quick judgement call from googling around!

Over and out.

"Believe me when I say we have reviewed and discussed this for quite sometime with a number of bodies where you may have made a quick judgement call from googling around!"

If you are going to publish a position paper and petition, you need to allow for that happening or else your only support will be from those who were already true believers.

If you are going to publically defend your position, you should make every effort to avoid the 'father knows best' sort of arrogance when responding to someone who politely disagrees with your conclusions and justifies their disagreement.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I am only going to reply this once as I believe from your last reply we are not a million miles away in our thoughts, and I have got better things to do than read your cavils.

The UK BAP have a continued plan of re-introduction until 2010.

No, restoring breeding otter populations by habitat improvements not re-introductions.

Your latest response kinds of fudges the issues between the wider view and our petition.

You mean the wider view is one of general support for the otter but the bailiff's view is that they are not welcome. Fine, but don't misquote UKBAP proposals or use inflammatory headlines

The UK BAP and other organisations do a lot of good work and we support other similar animal welfare organisations that do good work to the environment in our County and further afield.
The point you seem to be missing is that Otters have re-established themselves in a small part in Cheshire. What we are against is this creation of an environment that was never there and as such increase the population further than what it once was leading to potential problems extending away from the Weaver catchment area.

From Mid Cheshire Chronicle,

A survey conducted by the Environment Agency revealed the regular presence of “three, four or five” otters along the west bank of the section between the towns.

But the plan is to “make the area more hospitable for otters and for wildlife in general”

So, no introductions just repairing damaged habitat for a native animal that has found its way to a river, hardly justifies the panic and explosive headlines surely. It also confirms that the bailiff's letter was provocative and inaccurate.

Believe me when I say we have reviewed and discussed this for quite sometime with a number of bodies where you may have made a quick judgement call from googling around!

whilst "googling around" I found this verse from a poem about Northwich........uncredited unfortunately

"The sound of pumps raising ancient seas for chlorine and polythene.

The ICI buzzer as the workmen straddle their bicycles ready for home.

A badly stuffed otter in a pub; the last otter on the Weaver."

Poetic licence?

• 2 weeks later...

Over 1000 signaturies both online and locally.

We have had so much support from naturists locally who know what they are talking about and the wider angling fraternity

I would like to thank all who are in support of our stance

Cheers

Simon

All very interesting, but all the breeding programmes for otters in the UK were shut down in 1999/2000 after the release of the last of the 117 animals that were bred. It (the breeding programme) was also claimed as a success by all the partners.

So where are the otters you claim will be released up until 2010 come from, and more importantly being bred?

BTW UK BAP stands for United Kingdom Biodiversity Action Plan It was drawn up by HM Govt (Dept. Environment as it then was) after consultation with interested parties.

And to my knowledge no angling group, Assiciation or angling body nationally raised any objections to it at the time.

Edited by phil hackett

phil h.