UK species list - 99 up!

Vagabond

there is a small stream that runs past one of the farm pools that i fish that has loads of 3 spined sticklebacks, i used to take my little nephew along with his net and a bucket to see how many we could catch before putting them back

some of them have really nice markings sort of like a mackerel if they where any bigger i bet they would put up a hell of a scrap

is there not a 3rd marine species of stickleback in the uk or am i getting confused with something else?

Hiya,

is there not a 3rd marine species of stickleback in the uk or am i getting confused with something else?

We have 3 species, the 3 spined (Gasterostreus aculeatus), the 10 Spined (Pungitius pungitius) and the 15 Spined (Spinachia spinachia)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

it looks like a pike in shape. Are they they from the same family?

Nope - the sticklebacks' nearest relatives are the pipefishes and seahorses!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hiya,

We have 3 species, the 3 spined (Gasterostreus aculeatus), the 10 Spined (Pungitius pungitius) and the 15 Spined (Spinachia spinachia)

Yup, and I now have the set :D , although I had to go to Scotland (western shore of South Uist) to catch my 15-spined.

Nelson's Fishes of the World reckons there are only 7 stickleback species world wide, although some of them (like the 3-spined) are split into umpteen sub-species.

Re the previous post (reply to Lutra), the 15-spined looks very like a pipefish.

Some of the biggest 3-spined I have ever seen live in the brackish wee burns around Kilninver, south of Oban.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hiya Dave,

Yup, and I now have the set :D , although I had to go to Scotland (western shore of South Uist) to catch my 15-spined.

You didnt need to go that far, you can get them down the side of the Stone pier at Lochaline.. that's where I got mine :)

Some of the biggest 3-spined I have ever seen live in the brackish wee burns around Kilninver, south of Oban.

Yup they seem to be like that all over the West Coast.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"