Yarwell Mill, Peterborough

fruitloopy

I will be staying at Yarwell Mill Camping and Caravan Park next weekend and they have a lake plus a nice stretch of the River Nene.

I am told by the owner that he has had Barbel from this stretch before, but then the owner is bound to say something like that isnt he? :D

Has anyone fished here before? I have fished futher down at Yarwell Lock & Weir but had nothing from her but again I am told its a good spot for barbel and chub.

Cheers.

Probably not much help to you now, but you just reminded me that we stayed there about 15 years ago, It is a nice stretch of river. & the site was very nice then too. I seem to remember casting a small mepps spinner about after the perch and also catching a couple of small jack pike, there were chub in there too.

I was only snatching an hour or so fishing here & there so didn't really find out much about it, plus the weather was scorching hot all week too, as I remember almost flaking out cycling into Peterborough.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would give a report on the fishing at Yarwell Mill in case someone else searches through the forum for info on it.

They have 1 lake of about 2 acres and an approximate stretch of 1/3rd of a mile of the River Nene.

There is a problem though. They have many static caravans and regular caravans there which are situated on the banks of the lake and river and you can only fish in an empty spot. You must have the caravan owners permission to fish behind their caravan.

There's not many spots to fish on the lake otherwise but I did find a nice spot next to some lily pads on the lake.

They have the lock as well which was a good spot for perch.

If you follow the river further down it goes into a field which seems to be part of a nature walk. I dont know who owns the rights to fish in this stretch but there are some nice spots there. Further down there is a small footbridge where it meets a smaller cut of the river. We dangled our rods and legs of this bridge and had a cracking time catching small bleak and perch. I had a perch of about a pound on worm.

It was like being a kid again!

We then watched 3 good size tench browse around for a few seconds before they saw our legs dangling over the side and took off.

I fished the lake in the morning at sunrise and again in the late evening. There were lots of tench bubbles rising around the lily pads but there was a lot of weed on the lake bed which made presenting a bait very difficult. On the four occasions when I hooked a fish it dove into the lily pads and the soft action float rod couldnt get them out. 3 times the hook pulled and one snapped the hooklink.

I changed to a stronger float rod and at 11pm also changed to worm. I hooked into a fish almost straight away and the stronger rod gave me enough muscle to pull it out of the lilies. I should have know better to use worm at night when I got the 1.5lb eel into the net!

I have asked the site if I could rake the swim next time as I am positive this will improve the situation. Many of the others fishing had no luck either and the warden laughed at my unhooking mat as he was sure I would not be using it! He did say that there are many carp and tench in the lake but its very difficult to catch them. According to some of the regular caravan owners (some of them seem to be residential?) the whole lake bed is covered in this weed. I think the weed may be called Milfoil.

I did manage to take a lovely picture of the lake at sunrise on Saturday morning:

Yarwell_Mill_lake_at_sunrise_S.jpg

The campsite was well run, toilets and showers good and a nice place to go fishing but good spots are hard to find.