line advice

mike1234

the past few weeks i have been fishing a fairly small farm pool which is pretty well stocked with most course species, but as many carp between 3 and 20lb

i have been fishing with 4lb line straight threw a waggler with 2 maggots on a size 16 fished on the bottom

i have been doing pretty good with this set up except when one of the carp decides to have a go at the maggots when i have been dragged all round the pond with light tackle

i tried bulking up the line to 6lb and 8lb but i dont seem to get anywhere near as many bites i dont know if the thinker mono is not allowing the bait to be sucked up naturally and putting the fish off or if the presentation is slightly different or something but it seems to have killed my fishing

i have been advised to move onto a poll because the elastic would cushion the low breaking strain line but since i dont have a poll nor the money to purchase one this isnt much good to me

can anyone give me any advise on what line i would be better using or something i can use as a hook length under the float to prevent this from happening

cheers

mike

I think you're right in that the increased thickness/stiffness of the heavier mono is putting the fish off because it's causing the hookbait to act in an unnatural way.

I fish a similar sounding pond with similar tackle (4lb line straight through), but the crucial thing is that there is very little in the way of snags for the carp to head for when I hook one. Consequently, although they take a bit longer to land than the roach or bream, I don't get snapped up. I hook most of the fish very close in and use a centre pin reel to avoid the problem of slipping clutches that don't slip fast enough in response to rapidly-accelerating fish.

What sort of rod are you using? Ideally, you need one with a through action that will act as a shock absorber in the same way as pole elastic.

It's amazing the size of fish you can subdue on relatively light tackle, so long as it's correctly balanced and there's no danger of losing them in weed or snags.

You could also try using a larger hookbait to match your heavier line - even quite modest roach and perch will tackle a lobworm on a size 8 hook, for example.

You say they "drag you all round the pond" but you don't say that they actually break your line. If the line isn't breaking then I don't see any point switching to heavier line using the same rod. Take your rod and reel in the back garden and tie your line to a fence post. I bet you can't break your line by pulling with the rod in a normal manner. In fact I bet you are happy to pull against a fence post AT LEAST twice as hard as you've ever pulled against a fish!

the line as snapped on a few occasions but my main problem is that i dont have enough confidence in the light line to pull the fish away from snags and other anglers as they seem to take off like a rocket once hooked heading into other peoples swims across the lake

i am not actually targeting these fish with my float road i have a heavier rod and line that is more than capable of handling them but i usually set that up on a bobbin and float fish for smaller species to pass the time between bites on the second rod

and when i put stronger line the fish i am targeting seem spooked and my bites seem to die off, i just dont see a way to fish for smaller species in the pond without worrying about leaving hooks in fish or disturbing other anglers

Why not just use a lighter hooklength so that the heavier line and rod is doing most of the work. It's actually quite hard to break a light hooklength if it's on say 6-8lb mono with a smooth enough enough rod.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I personally wouldnt change anything on the set up.

Just have the confidence that your tackle can do its job wether your using 4lb line or 20 lb line . If they head for a snag just put the rod tip in the water apply side strain and dont give line. You'll be suprised how much pressure it will tak to snap the line and more often than not the fish will kite sideways away from the snag.I have had Barbel out of the river up to 10lb on 3lb line and a size 18 hook. So landing big fish on light line isnt impossible just needs a bit more patience.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I personally wouldnt change anything on the set up.

Just have the confidence that your tackle can do its job wether your using 4lb line or 20 lb line . If they head for a snag just put the rod tip in the water apply side strain and dont give line. You'll be suprised how much pressure it will tak to snap the line and more often than not the fish will kite sideways away from the snag.I have had Barbel out of the river up to 10lb on 3lb line and a size 18 hook. So landing big fish on light line isnt impossible just needs a bit more patience.

I agree, I had to pull for a break today when I dropped my float in the margin of a snaggy little river and it hooked onto a root - with a very thin 3lb hooklength I could only just break it with a straight pull. With the cushioning of a balanced rod, it would take a hell of a fish to snap that!

If they're steaming into snags and you need stopping power, strengthen everything (rod, mainline, hooklength) up a notch. If not, just take your time and put the brakes on if you need to.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music