Most unexpected catch

tiddlertamer

I try to target fish but of course, the unexpected species often shows up.

My own limited experience saw me dangling a lobworm in a local canal in a search for perch.

I got more than I expected when a 9lb common carp run off with the bait. Somehow I landed it though it gave me one of the fights of my lifetime.

Next cast expecting nothing after the carp had thrashed around the swim, the float just bobbed and I struck.. .A perch? No a ruffe - the only ruffe I have ever caught. Diminutive but an unexpected delight due to its rarity.

Anyone else landed something that they really had no idea was in their swim and either delighted or bemused them?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to target fish but of course, the unexpected species often shows up.

My own limited experience saw me dangling a lobworm in a local canal in a search for perch.

I got more than I expected when a 9lb common carp run off with the bait. Somehow I landed it though it gave me one of the fights of my lifetime.

Next cast expecting nothing after the carp had thrashed around the swim, the float just bobbed and I struck.. .A perch? No a ruffe - the only ruffe I have ever caught. Diminutive but an unexpected delight due to its rarity.

Anyone else landed something that they really had no idea was in their swim and either delighted or bemused them?

rare where you are perhaps but a pain elsewhere you cant even catch annoying tiddler perch in some places as the ruffe beat them to the bait :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

rare where you are perhaps but a pain elsewhere you cant even catch annoying tiddler perch in some places as the ruffe beat them to the bait :D

I just remember the Great Rod Race TV programme with Matt Hayes and Mick Brown attempting to catch all the main UK fish species in 30 days and the ruffe was one of the fish that they really worried about catching.

Armed with a bit of local knowledge from Chesters they might have felt a touch more optimistic... :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

i know the medway at maidstone was full of them in the 60's but only downstream i never caught one further up than the papermills perhaps the flow was to strong?

they come in different colours the medway ones i cursed were dull reddy brown

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Try deep-trolling for charr - you will be surprised if you get anything at all! - two weeks back we tried just that and Lutra had a seatrout from 60 feet down.

The only charr came the session before that - Norma had it whilst spinning for breakfast trout - about one foot deep.

The charr had no business to be in water that shallow - the seatrout had no business to be that deep.

Go figure :headhurt::headhurt:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

they come in different colours the medway ones i cursed were dull reddy brown

Mine was definitely very much greeny tinged with black spots...

Are we talking the same species or are there huge variations? :unsure:

i think they (like most fish) get closer to the colour around them

I caught a brown trout while fishing for chub with lamprey.My mate had a pike while fishing for barbel with halibut pellet,he also caught a 10lb ghost carp fish with double red maggot on 2 1/2lb hooklink.