Most unexpected catch

tiddlertamer

A pic of Dave flounder fishing. :)

post-10964-1246253974_thumb.jpg

head and shoulders my most suprising was when filming a catfish programme for onlinefishing.tv and i caught on my dumbell presented 4oz roach livebait, a 37lb 15oz mirror carp, hooked fair and square n the bottom lip :D

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

head and shoulders my most suprising was when filming a catfish programme for onlinefishing.tv and i caught on my dumbell presented 4oz roach livebait, a 37lb 15oz mirror carp, hooked fair and square n the bottom lip :D

One of my most surprising was catching a 30lb+ catfish (it bottomed my 30lb scales out) on a rare for me carping day in sunny Lancashire.

Edited by Elton

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I suppose the most surprised I've been with an unexpected species was when I was stalking big (for me at the time) carp around a little Norfolk gravel pit about 20 years ago. I'd found a group of 3 cracking carp - all doubles, the biggest maybe 15lb - in a weedy, overgrown corner.

Hidden behind some nettles I flicked a couple of bits of bread flake out near them and watched as they sunk down and sucked them in. With my legs like jelly I gently swung out a small lump of freelined flake and watched as the biggest of the three turned and sunk down alongside it...the line quivered, then tightened and slowly began to draw away.

I steeled myself and struck hard. At the same time three big carp shot out of the weedy hole and disappeared, and I was left kneeling there, shaking with adrenaline, with a 4oz roach hanging on the end of my size 6 hook :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My most surprising has to have been while pike fishing a big Scottish loch about 8 years ago. I was using whole joey mackeral as bait (probably 10 inches in size) and i'd caught a few small jacks. The i got the most un-pike-like take, it was savage. After a very strange high speed fight, i landed a browny of 5lb 2 oz. The best wild trout i've ever caught, just a shame it was on a pike rod.

DSCN1026.jpg

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Strange you should mention ruffe tiddlertamer.... in the early 60's I used to night-fish for chub on the severn at Tewksbury. I'd ledger a huge cube of canadian cheddar, and suddenly there would be a heavy rattle on the rodtip, and I'd strike into it expecting a chub - only to find out it was a ruffe. They became a real nuisance and 50% of the bites were ruffe... they were very common then, but not so common now.

One of my stranger catches was a large perch caught between some bream on a sweetcorn quiver. Also heard of a guy who took a big lamprey on a lure (a Jake IIRC) trolled at speed, properly hooked in the mouth.

One of the smallest fish was a 1" roach fry skewered on a size 2 treble off the back of a boat. Oops!

Blockend just reminded me of a very unexpected catch! It wasn't me this time, but a friend I was fishing with. We were legering deadbaits for pike in the middle of winter at the river Wissey in Norfolk. We hadn't had a touch in the spot we were in, so decided to move. When he brought in his bait - half a herring - on one of the hooks of one of the trebles was a tench of about 8oz, hooked fair and square in the top lip :lol:

I've never seen a tench caught from there at all, which makes it even more unlikely!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A friend of mine told me of a weird catch he had once on an eirie misty morning: He had a long slow run and when he struck he hit into a large fish which fought fairly hard however he eventally put the net under a dead carp which had been hooked squarely in the corner of its mouth and had obviously been dead for a while judging by its eyes or lack of them. somehow the hook must have been tranferred to the dead Carp during the fight; either that or I will start believing in ghosts :) .

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

A friend of mine told me of a weird catch he had once on an eirie misty morning: He had a long slow run and when he struck he hit into a large fish which fought fairly hard however he eventally put the net under a dead carp which had been hooked squarely in the corner of its mouth and had obviously been dead for a while judging by its eyes or lack of them. somehow the hook must have been tranferred to the dead Carp during the fight; either that or I will start believing in ghosts :) .

i have heard of them ghost carp