River Cottage

Guest Julia

There are so many arguments on this one. My Dad moved to a small village in Somerset twenty years ago. Apart from the Co-Op getting a facelift I don't think too much has changed.

I don't agree with 'townies' buying up properties in the country for holiday homes as it kills the local communitites, but moving their with a young family and becoming the community is surely helping it.

Anyway, didn't want to start a huge rant on farmers and the countryside - just wanted to let you know that Hugh and the team were back.

I need sleeeeeeeeep :rolleyes:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love watching River Cottage. It makes me think of what could be, and it also make me laugh when Hugh gets up to some really daft things. He strikes me as a nice bloke, but even he must feel a numpty at times!

If we were to watch a 'realistic' programme about life today, it would follow a bloke as he works in a boring job all day and then watches TV all night. Great! LOL :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I always enjoy the River Cottage programmes.

It may be a bit cruel but I liked the one where he went to a farmer's market in London and then lost all his profit after his Landrover was clamped on the yellow line where he left it while he went for a celebratory drink :rolleyes:

[ 12. October 2005, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Mister Toad ]

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Finepix:

we for one (as a family) have been seriously considering a move from Surrey to Wiltshire or Dorset purely from watching 'A cook on the Wild Side' and the 'River Cottage' series.

we just did exactly that, and it's great!

I can't remember exactly what it said in the Radio Times, but it gave me the impression that rather than being a completely new series, it was more a case of Hugh looking back on the previous ones and giving a commentary (much cheaper to make!). Hope I'm wrong...

When I was born I lived in the country.

When I was thirty I had a five minute drive to the country.

Now I'm banging on sixty I have a twenty minute drive to the country, and I still live next door to where I was born!!

I agree wholeheartedly with the comment about living in the country rather than just having a holiday home, spot on.

Yes, Riverside is a fave watch too.

It is one of the better bits of tv and he makes some valid points.

The trouble with moving into the country is finding good employment to enable you to enjoy the so called good life.

All to often it means lots of commuting which eats into your time, so the fishing goes out the window, the veg patch becomes a chore and then the full reality of the situation clicks in.

Schooling, hospitals and many other things end up a lot further away.

When the kids have grown up you can then consider doing it in more style, some family friends are selling up and moving to France now that the ties have been reduced. A nice home and income enough to pay the basics plus some land to try their hand at self-sufficiency :rolleyes:

I hope it all works out for them as their French is some what limited :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

quote:

A VIEW FROM RIVER COTTAGE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are pleased to announce the transmission dates for the new show; 'A view from River Cottage' starts at 8pm on Channel 4 from Wednesday 19th October - after a reflective view of what's happened so far in the River Cottage lifetime (8 Years!) we’ll see two brand new one hour specials following Hugh on a 'River Cottage Road Trip'….here’s an overview of what’s to come…

The View from River Cottage looks back at Hugh's life in Dorset and discovers that over his years there, he has learned a set of rules - or principles - to grow by, to cook by and even to live by. This series repackages the River Cottage experience (both the original River Cottage series and last year’s Beyond River Cottage) into six themed programmes in which Hugh tells how and why he has arrived at these principles. Being thrifty (nose to tail eating), making the most of the wild larder, getting the best of what is local and in season, celebrating food with friends and neighbours, growing your own fruit and veg, and killing for the pot, are six broad areas of life that the programmes tackle.

Programme one kicks off the series by looking at the importance of growing your own fruit, vegetables and meat. His journey to get some way down the road of self-sufficiency started out with a modest vegetable patch and a handful of animals, but as the joys of gardening and husbandry took hold it developed into something a whole lot bigger. Part guide to rural living, part best of River Cottage, these shows add value to recuts of previously broadcast material. New links and at least one new recipe per programme also provide original content.

We hope you enjoy it.

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

DavyR:

I can't remember exactly what it said in the Radio Times, but it gave me the impression that rather than being a completely new series, it was more a case of Hugh looking back on the previous ones and giving a commentary (much cheaper to make!). Hope I'm wrong...

Your right, to quote the email I received from rivercottage.net;

We are pleased to announce the transmission dates for the new show; 'A view from River Cottage' starts at 8pm on Channel 4 from Wednesday 19th October - after a reflective view of what's happened so far in the River Cottage lifetime (8 Years!) we’ll see two brand new one hour specials following Hugh on a 'River Cottage Road Trip'

Hope this helps ...