Flying Mackrels !!!

craynerd

I went piking today and it seemed i got a bad batch of mackrel, some sort of genetically modified deadbait fish that i`m sure had hidden wings. Every time i cast in the mackrel would take off and fly away in the opposite direction!

Now in all seriousness, i just couldnt keep the mackrel on the trebbles! I went yesterday learning to pike with someone and the mackrel was frozen so it stayed on the hook much more securely (even then we had one escape), but with it being a little warmer today mine were slightly melted and seemed to either slide out or rip out of the fish on casting.

So my question, i`m using 2 semi barbed trebbles on a wire trace, how sould i hook the mackrel to keep it on the hook and allow me to give a good longish cast? Also i baught small joey mackrels and was cutting them in half and using the tale section as the hook bate....what sort of size piece should i be using as the hook bate?

We actually had success yesterday and i caught my first small 5lb pike using the same methid only today when i was on my own things didnt seem to run as smoothly with the problems as described above...any adivice welcome in any aspects of piking!!!!

Just to inform you, the method we used yesterday and caught with, and what i tried to use today were ...... Free moving 2oz lead, bead, swivel, trace trebbel, mackrel dead bate...then just cast it out and attached it to the bite alarm!

Look forward to your reply as i know there are some keen pikers on here!!!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

As Nugg says. barbless trebles should have one point with a barb to hook the bait. I've never experienced a problem and believe me I've retrieved baits through some horendous snags, weed, hedges, sunken Ford Anglias :) Bait always stayed on though

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Chris simply stick the barbed point of the top treble in to the bone in the wrist of the tail.Dont matter if its fresh or frozen wont come out on the cast.Just lightly nick in the barbed point of the bottom treble where it lays on the bait.Dont have the wire between the two hooks over tight or slack as this can cause the bottom hook to come out when the bait hits the water.

Joey Mackeral are normally used whole.Around 8" is a good average size to use even with half baits.Another tip with mackeral is to use both halfs of a fish,not only do you get two baits for the price of one but the heads are very attractive.Also if you wish to cast a long way clip the tail fins off as this will make the bait more arodynamic.

Also I hope you were using some form of indicator as well as the alarm.It is very important to be able to detect "drop back" bites where the fish is moving towards you.

Congratulations on your first pike.Hope your mate was able to show you good handling and unhooking techniques as these are vital. :)

[ 24. March 2005, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks guys, yep i was using a fox swinger as i always do with my carp setup!

The guy who took me was Dave Trav from coarsefish.com, dont know if any of you know him, so yea, he showed me some excelent handling and unhooking skills!

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

You should have threaded the trace through the last two inches of the tail with a baiting needle.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

cray - Nugg's website contains very good advice.

In my limited experience I find that the root of the tail of a mackerel is very tough. If in doubt, tie a bit of string or some bait elastic just above the top (tail root) treble. This will keep it good and firm.

Another possible problem is that your trebles are too small, and aren't getting into the tough part of the tail. Or that you're just piercing the flesh rather than getting into the bone+cartilage and stuff. What size are you using?

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.