Centrepin

banu

New to centrepins myself, but to me a centrepin must be just that, no ballbearing races allowed, so I too chose a Speedia, a late wide drum Deluxe model (adjustable ratchet tension, adjustment running drag), and I'm very pleased with it.

I hope to purchase a Fred Crouch Jet Aerial Replica at some point.

Geoff

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have got a grice and young which is nice for ledgering or using float fishing on ponds but it does not turn very freely so is a bit difficult for trotting which is what i want a centre pin for in the first place.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

It is interesting to read how variable different peoples opinions and experiences are but that is what it is all about, personal enjoyment and long may it continue.. On a personal note, I have used numerous centre pins over more years than I care to remember ranging from the expensive to the cheap and cheerfull and still adding/discarding to the collection, but there is one reel that for me sticks out from all the rest in terms of using which is my Trotting Special. It may not be in the perceived league of the Witchers, Lythes, Carters and early Allcocks but it is hand built, spins like a dream and is a joy to use. In todays world and being extremely good value, I would agree that the Okuma Sheffield is an excellent reel. I cannot comment on the Anglers Net pin but all the rave reports indicate that it is also very good. The only thing putting me off adding one to the collection is the closeness to the handles to the rim and fear of lacerated fingers on the exposed check mechanism when winding in after a trot. Todays prices also reflect how good the Speedia is as it was not too long ago when you could by a near mint one for between thirty to forty pounds.

I use an Okuma Sheffield and the only minor fault that I've found is the check knob, as I would rather have a well positioned lever but as I say it is only a very minor fault as I think it is an excellent pin. I use this whenever I'm long trotting on a stream or river for Barbel and Chub.

I would also love to own a FishingNet pin which everyone raves about, I think it has a slightly narrower spool than the Shefield (I think).

I own two other pins (a Black Cat and a Black Cat prototype) but I rarely use these nowerdays other than when I am using the lift method for Tench on a shallowish estate lake.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I cannot comment on the Anglers Net pin but all the rave reports indicate that it is also very good. The only thing putting me off adding one to the collection is the closeness to the handles to the rim and fear of lacerated fingers on the exposed check mechanism when winding in after a trot.

They're all hand-made by Andy, so you can have one without handles. Leon has a nice one with 'winding holes'.

I like the little wooden handles :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I really envy you guys who have a definate opinion on the handles or not issue! Im in a right quandry over this one! Some jobs I like them but for most I dont!

On my other pins I used to just remove/replace the handles as required on the AN pin though there arnt any suitable holes to put your finger in if you want to play a fish no handles!

Andy said he would add the "add on finger holes" for me if I got the reel to him so I would have the option of both..........should have done it in the closed season really :doh: Maybe next year!

Brilliant pin at the price (in fact better than some Ive owned at twice the price!) mind you which ever option you prefer!

Mind you thinking about it if I get some dough a spare spool with finger holes would be an option.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I do like to have the facility to be able to use both the handles particularly when in contact with a fish and finger holes/spokes/batting for line retrieval say after a long trot. I personally find that if the handles are too near to the rim, they tend to get in the way and also if the ratchet/check is exposed when using your finger through the spokes/holes you can finish up with a cut finger. That is only my own preference for a user and centrepins being what they are, there will be many different opinions on what suits any individual.

I do like to have the facility to be able to use both the handles particularly when in contact with a fish and finger holes/spokes/batting for line retrieval say after a long trot. I personally find that if the handles are too near to the rim, they tend to get in the way and also if the ratchet/check is exposed when using your finger through the spokes/holes you can finish up with a cut finger. That is only my own preference for a user and centrepins being what they are, there will be many different opinions on what suits any individual.

Have had quite a few centrepin over the years, in fact i began fishing with one, a strike right.

In that time I have had :

Youngs purist II

Wilson heritage

Free spirit searcher

Aerial match

Okuma Sheffield

and of course the strike right.

I eventually sold on the Okuma and the heritage. The heritage I have to say I never really got on with because of the large line guard, which seemed to cause more problems than it solved, and the okuma I sold on because as Bold bear hinted at, the twist knob ratchet isnt a very good idea in my opinion, but aside from that it was actually a really nice reel.

These days i use the youngs and the aerial (which needs repairing) for trotting, and the searcher for stalking bigger fish as its a nice big pin, but not a lot of cop for trotting as the inertia is too great.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk