Another new reel project

Worms

Having used the Aerial 12 spoke copy I am satisfied that it is going to meet the majority of my float fishing requirements. I just get the feeling that for swimfeeding and heavy ledgering work I may require something a bit more robust...............now, one of my favourite reels of all time is J W Young's 'Pattern 9' I have a 3 1/2" model that spins like a dream. The only problem is the spool inner diameter where the line sits, a mere 2.2". This unfortunately relegates the reel to small stream fishing where I still have to reel like a lunatic to land fish with its miserable retrieve rate.

I think that the Pattern 9 was probably the forerunner of the 'Perfection Flik 'em'. Like the latter the spool has internal 'push' spokes that centralise the one piece drum about the hub. The Pattern 9 has 4 spokes as opposed to the (early) Flik 'em's 6. The Pattern 9 is cageless unlike the Flik 'em.

pattern9again.jpg

pattern9.jpg

These are photos of my beloved 'Pattern 9'

As it happened, I had a big piece of 4 1/4" diameter aircraft quality alloy kicking around in the workshop :rolleyes:

So yes, you guessed it, I'm in the process of making a 4 1/4" diameter 'Pattern 9' copy. This has a 3.7" diameter line lay area and I have increased the width from 3/4" to 1" between the flanges.............should be just the job for chucking feeders at barbel this autumn/winter.

I've included a couple of pics of work in progress but don't hold me to a finish date!

pattern9copyspool.jpg

The spool machined from the back with line lay area and internal completed.

partingoffspool.jpg

A nerve-wracking process at the best of times but parting off a chunk of alloy as big as 4 1/4" on a 1950's Boxford is guaranteed to keep your 'nippit' muscle tight! All worked out well in the end :D

More later hopefully!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having got that far Worms (pic 3) I would have lost my nerve and sawn it the rest of the way, and finished off from the back :)

How many speed changes did you have to make?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Having got that far Worms (pic 3) I would have lost my nerve and sawn it the rest of the way, and finished off from the back :)

How many speed changes did you have to make?

Den

Well it was cutting so sweetly (after a considerable amount of fettling to the parting tool!) I just kept plugging on, took me ages mind!

I have a variable speed setup on the Boxford, using an Omron J7 inverter wired to a 3 phase motor. This enabled me to keep the feed constant whilst I could also increase the turning speed on the built in rheostat as I went. I started off at approximately 40 rpm and ended up at about 140 rpm using the backgear.

The inverter is a brilliant piece of kit and it can be set up to run at different frequencies. I set mine up to give me a max rpm of 1500 but can be adjusted quickly if I want to raise the speeds to do any wood turning!

Here's a (bad) photo of the inverter. The speeds/frequencies were clocked using a rev counter.

post-14528-1246183695_thumb.jpg

The most tedious job was boring out the inside of the spool!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I've had a busy weekend what with catching fish and working on the new project..........you can tell that the wife's away can't you B) .

Anyway here are the latest instalments, with the spool finish turned and the backplate fitted with the pin. The hub has been bored and I turned a mandrel to match the pin and loctited the mandrel on to it. This enabled me to turn the hub so it is absolutely concentric.

hubonmandrel.jpg

Hub on mandrel

Pattern9copyspoolandbackplateback.jpg

Back of spool and backplate

pattern9copyspoolandbackplatefront.jpg

Front of spool and backplate (not much space to squeeze the handles in!)

Now to get the hub in the rotary table and drill and tap the spoke holes prior to cutting the spool retaining clip groove, parting off and finish turning the pin adjuster screw end.

After that it will be a case of machining all of the excess material off the backplate rim to leave the rod mounting fixture.

These step by step pin building threads are really getting to me! Other than in metal work lessons at Grammer School for a few years I have no experince/knowledge/skills with a lathe but it just draws me! Must be great being able to make such wonderfull reels to your own requirements or simply copy/modify old classic designs.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In one of my old 'Creel' magazines (March 1964) there is an article written by 'Lloyd Gladstone Gough' which shows a detailed plan to build your own centrepin for trotting, I have always wished that I had enough patience and skill to build one.

What a brilliant project you have going.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Its a real pleasure to see the wip on your reel.I have no metalworking skills,let alone the engineering experience that must be needed to make a reel!.I can use them though ;) .Mine is the Milbro pelican pat 9 type,also three and a half inch dia.Still loaded with 15lb mono from the last river piking trip in march.Have you made other reels Worms?.

Its a real pleasure to see the wip on your reel.I have no metalworking skills,let alone the engineering experience that must be needed to make a reel!.I can use them though ;) .Mine is the Milbro pelican pat 9 type,also three and a half inch dia.Still loaded with 15lb mono from the last river piking trip in march.Have you made other reels Worms?.

Just the one, a copy of an Aerial 12 spoke which started in a thread about expensive 'pins on ebay (why I made my own!)

then finished in this!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Part-2-...p;mode=threaded