Another new reel project

Worms

A very nice reel thanks.I like the Wallis wizard with it.I have one myself.Mine has the wooden handle,originally painted black.

Pete.

Cheers, the rod is apparently one of the first "Super Wizard"s from 1936. Cork handle but wooden button with the green and gold spiral "The Wallis Wizard" transfer. I restored it recently after finding it in a huge box of old rods that I bought at auction. 10 useful rods out of the box including an early Hardy fly rod, 3 salmon fly rods, 3 Aspindales a couple of others and a Mitchell 300 reel...............all for £20! So I reckon I paid £2 for the Wizard. I hazard a guess it's worth slightly more than that :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately some of the latest reel updates got wiped out in last week's problems so here is a new update.

The hub has been finish turned and threaded for the 8 spokes (11BA) and the adjuster grubscrew (7BA) in the end. The six spokes that support the inside of the spool to the hub are compression spokes in that they are screwed into the hub and then screwed back out to locate in indentations in the inner diameter of the spool. The further two spokes at the adjuster end of the hub are tension spokes. These pass through the line lay surface of the spool and pull up into the threaded holes in the hub. These two spokes are locating spokes but they also serve to carry the spool release catch and spring and the drag adjustment mechanism (not fitted on the original Pattern 9 but the hub was machined to take it).

The two tension spokes were machined from 0.1875" (3/16") nickel silver. This allowed me to turn a tapered head that locates snugly into the tapered holes that I machined into the line lay surface of the spool. This minimises the screw head height and any sharp edges that the line could catch on. The screw slots were cut using a mini grinding wheel from my Dremmel, mounted in the lathe chuck. The spokes were then fitted into a pin-vice that was clamped into the toolpost and the screwhead then offerred up to the spinning cutting disc to the required depth.

Tension spoke with taper prior to parting off with a specially ground parting tool to give a domed head.

Tensionspoke.jpg

the following three pictures are of the screw slot cutting setup. Wind the screwhead up until just touching the cutting disc, wind in half the diameter of the screwhead and half the thickness of the disc and, hey presto, smack in the centre!

Grindingscrewslot1.jpg

screwslot2.jpg

screwslot3.jpg

This picture shows the hub and tension spokes fitted through the spool

Hubandtensionspokes.jpg

The head of one of the tension spokes

Tensionspokehead.jpg

The spool complete with hub and all spokes fitted

Backofspoolwithspokes.jpg

There is still some final spoke polishing to do but I wanted to make sure that they all fitted first! The next job will be to make the spool retaining catch, the drag mechanism and the associated springs. Once they are completed I will machine the appropriate hools in the front of the spool and the handle holes.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

That's some clever stuff. I made a bread/meat/spud punch a few weeks back from old TV aerial and I thought that was smart....lol

I haven't got a clue what you're on about but it's fascinating seeing your reels coming together.

(hides punch embarrassingly)

...andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, been a bit of a busy month what with work and fishing. Anyway, I managed to get into the workshop again yesterday for an hour or so. The biggest job left to do was to remove the extraneous material from the backplate and to leave the tab for the rod mounting.

Lots of measuring and scribbling, pencil sucking and rootling in the tool cupboard eventually gave me some figures to work to. So the backplate was mounted in the chuck which was mounted on the rotary table which was mounted on the angle plate which was mounted on the miller which was mounted on the court of King Caractacus.............oops, sorry got carried away there :rolleyes:

The cutter was zeroed against the edge of the backplate and then the width of the cutter (0.156"=4mm) and the width of the finished backplate (0.305") was combined and the table wound the appropriate distance. Two pilot holes were machined 36o apart and the rotary table was rotated as 0.020" cuts were made. Finally the finishing cuts to the front and rear of the mounting lug were made to release the backplate.

Work in progress.

gentlydoesit.jpg

Prior to finishing work, but, it fits!

Phewitfits.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality today, not quite sure what happened there!

Im REELY impressed by this. Haha. Sorry, i couldnt resist. Youve got some skills lad!

Ta!

• 2 months later...

Evening Gary. No sorry I haven't done any more work to the reel (apart from source some old bakelite material for the handles). I've been busy working, allotmenteering, house repairing and sea tackle acquiring just recently :rolleyes:

The quiet period is about to hit me work-wise so evenings in the workshop are looking like a definite possibility over the next couple of months. I'm still hoping to finish it and to use it for my autumn/winter barbel and chub sessions, possibly even some winter piking sessions as well!

Thanks for the interest Gary, tightlines, Nick.

Edited by Worms

• 1 month later...

Right, recently a couple of chaps have quizzed me about progress on the Pattern 9 copy. Alas I have been idle (well far from it really) making the most of work and the Forth Road Bridge ancient home and of course the allotment and my sea fishing gear and a rebuild of a Yamaha Virago for a mate etc. etc.

Anyway, I was spurred on to finish the reel as the weather is looking kinder for a bit of winter chub and barbel bashing. I retired for a few evenings to the comfort of my workshop and set to with files and drills and all that kind of thing.

The first decision was the ratchet system. On the 12 spoke I made a lever operated hairpin spring system. It works a treat. This time I thought I'd give the circular spring system a go but, I wanted a lever operated system again and not the sliding button most frequently seen with the circular spring. I scribbled a few designs over a bottle of home-made plonk and came up with the components below.

Ratchetbits.jpg

The ratchet pawl is made from EN16, a high (ish) carbon steel. This allows a reasonable degree of case hardening to stop it from wearing out. I had a few considerations when making the lever operated ratchet system. The main one being to enable the pawl to pivot about the guide/pivot pin as obviously, the ratchet operating lever is fixed. Combine two fixed pins and you end up with movement in one plane only. That’s not good as the pawl has to be allowed to ‘swing’ over the teeth of the ratchet pinion against the spring pressure. The fix? Just a keyhole shaped hole that locates over the pivot pin.

here's a close up

ratchetpawl.jpg

The spring, the operating lever and all of the pivot pins/rivets are made from nickel silver as usual.

There are still a few bits to finish such as the lever fulcrum pin and I'm toying with making a nice little shaped handle for the end of the lever. I managed to pick up a nice piece of a type of early nylon/plastic from my Dad's workshop which I have now made the handles from. The metal components are, again, nickel silver.

Handle.jpg

handle2.jpg

handle3.jpg

Oh yes I have also made the spool locking catch but I forgot to take a photo, sorry!

The last pic is just to show the scale.

justforscale.jpg

Well that's it for the moment, I've got an evening off (in the pub for some engineering talk and an attempt to blag some gear cutters and some more alloy. I feel a two speed multiplier coming on!)

Oh, thanks to Gary and Chris for the encouragement, I'll have a pint for you tonight :D

Oops!

After all of that time making those six pretty compression spokes at 0.060" diameter I really should have put my big engineer's hat on.

I just assembled the reel and started to adjust the spokes. I got to within 0.0025" of getting the reel spot on and......dink! One of the spokes did a fair impression of a dog's hind leg. :(

Oh well, when I extended the design length of the spoke from 31/32" to 1 9/16" I should have made them thicker!

Job done now, six new 0.080" spokes with 7ba threads. I just have to drill out the hub and tap that 7ba as well. :rolleyes: