Another new reel project

Worms

Now this I am looking forward to! And after the boat reel Nick if ever your tempted to make a baitcasting size multiplier give me plenty of notice so I can get a good supply of wet wipes in to keep by the computer!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now this I am looking forward to! And after the boat reel Nick if ever your tempted to make a baitcasting size multiplier give me plenty of notice so I can get a good supply of wet wipes in to keep by the computer!

Update:

Now I know why a decent billet framed, lever drag reel with decent bearings is so expensive........and why they have their limitations!

I've spent £90 so far on materials and I've got about 50% for free! Admittedly I'm sparing no expense. The best stainless steel bearings, high quality aerospace grade aluminium and stainless steel alloys (considered titanium but you've got to draw the line somewhere!). Obviously being a one-off/prototype, costs are higher than a production run.

Oh well, if my cunning thrust bearing plan works it could be a poke in the eye for all of the big multiplier manufacturers who claim not to be able to source the bearings required for such a project!

Budgie, a baitcaster would be a lot cheaper to make (size of barstock) so keep your wet-wipes handy :P

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Be interesting to see what you do with the thrust bearings. I once made (actually I made a few) small multipliers and the drive to the spool was thro the clutch plate, the spool having a thrust bearing at the other end. Clutch disc was the same dia as the end plate of the spool, allowing "free spool" and "drive" to be achieved with a quarter turn of a lever. This also enabled the spool to run on two ballraces on a stationary shaft when in cast mode. The idea was to make the spool as light as possible to aid casting.

Quality was not anywhere up to your standard though :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Be interesting to see what you do with the thrust bearings. I once made (actually I made a few) small multipliers and the drive to the spool was thro the clutch plate, the spool having a thrust bearing at the other end. Clutch disc was the same dia as the end plate of the spool, allowing "free spool" and "drive" to be achieved with a quarter turn of a lever. This also enabled the spool to run on two ballraces on a stationary shaft when in cast mode. The idea was to make the spool as light as possible to aid casting.

Quality was not anywhere up to your standard though :)

Den

It sounds as if we have the same ideas on multipliers Den!

My design is pretty much the same as yours, driving the spool through the clutch plate but using an angular contact bearing on the far side of the spool on the 'pull' side and a further angular contact bearing on the back of the drag plate. This will ensure that no drag loadings will be transmited through the driven spur gear onto the endplate ball-race. The spool will, on free spool, rotate about the spool end angular contact bearing and a further ball race. The drag plate will be supported by the aforementioned angular contact bearing and a further ball race will locate it about the spool/drag 'pull' shaft. The handle/driving gear spindle will be an overhung affair supported by two ball races in the end cover. The design will mean a little extra width is required in the design but, the materials used will allow for reduced dimensions anyway to obtain the required strength.........it all works on paper!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

It sounds as if we have the same ideas on multipliers Den!

My design is pretty much the same as yours, driving the spool through the clutch plate but using an angular contact bearing on the far side of the spool on the 'pull' side and a further angular contact bearing on the back of the drag plate. This will ensure that no drag loadings will be transmited through the driven spur gear onto the endplate ball-race. The spool will, on free spool, rotate about the spool end angular contact bearing and a further ball race. The drag plate will be supported by the aforementioned angular contact bearing and a further ball race will locate it about the spool/drag 'pull' shaft. The handle/driving gear spindle will be an overhung affair supported by two ball races in the end cover. The design will mean a little extra width is required in the design but, the materials used will allow for reduced dimensions anyway to obtain the required strength.........it all works on paper!

That pretty much lost me after the words "my design" :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Same as Dave!

Nick if/when you get around to making the baitcaster try and incorporate a level wind system that can be totally disengaged when casting.Something that no one really does sucsessfully but Ive always struggled to see why not as surely it wouldnt be that difficult?

Disengaging the level wind would be no problem, relocating the line on re-engagement would be the problem!

Ive no problem with the line going through the level wind when casting its just that driving that great big cog that makes the level wind move takes lots of distance off the cast.Surely disengaging this would be the answer Nick?

In theory yes but the line guide will still be engaged with the levelwind shaft and will still operate the shaft 'in reverse' and cause drag. With decent bearings and well cut gears the drive of the shaft shouldn't really be a problem once the spool is spinning fast. It's the action of the line guide on the worm gear of the shaft that causes the most drag (in my opinion)!

You guys with yiour engineering! I've no idea what yiou are talking about but I have been on the beer and can expplainn tghagt eaves have special cellswhich need carbon dioxide to make food using the energy of sunlight and remove the oxygen produced as a waste product of photosynthes. As this happens, the plant uses small openings in its leaves to allow gases to enter and leave, and during this process it loses moisture too.

Make that out of moiltybdenum!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."