A tribute.

DelJ

As yesterday was Armed Forces Day we went down to Slapton as there is a memorial there to the American service men who lost their lives while taking part in an exercise rehearsal for D-Day. Unfortunately they were jumped by some German E-Boats and over 700 U.S.A sailors & soldiers lost there lives.

There are actually two memorials there one is the normal type built of concrete etc. the other is a Sherman tank that was on one of the Tank Landing Craft that sunk in the disaster. The tank was recovered from the sea years later and has since been looked after by local people as a lasting tribute to those who died.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

The young lad in the photo went over to the tank stood for a few moments then as in the photo reached out and touched the wreath and walked slowly away. This was such a moving seen I just had to capture it. Sorry about the car in the shot but if I had moved from where I took the shot I would have had loads of people in the shot and I only wanted the young lad in it.

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post and photo.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Great stuff Del mate, a very touching photograph, i wonder what was going through the youngsters mind at the time of the picture.

Its thanks to the brave men and women who gave so much up for our freedom

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Thanks marra I was amazed when I saw the the lad do it.

Just goes to show that they are not all mindless morons doesn't it.

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.