BT - rip off merchants

Guest NickInTheNorth

Guest NickInTheNorth

Why is it that BT always try and rip us off?

I've just signed up for Business Broadband, which costs the grand sum of £29.99 plus VAT, which for an unlimited connection seems ok to me.

But if I want a static IP address they want an additional £5 PER MONTH!!

Oh and if i want to have a domain name that will be £5 per month too!

NickInTheNorth:

But if I want a static IP address they want an additional £5 PER MONTH!!

Oh and if i want to have a domain name that will be £5 per month too!

Reasonable IMO Nick for the static IP. Both of these options cost the provider more than their usual service although the cost for the static IP is sorta hard to quantify.

The charge for a domain name is way out of line. Cost in the US can be as low as $9 per year for just registering the name.

If they offer you web space you can tag with your domain name and use, it becomes a very reasonable extra though.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest NickInTheNorth

as I can have a static IP address with my current dial up account (cost £14.99 per month with no restrictions as to dial up time per month) for no extra charge, and can register a domain for $10 per year, I think that both charges are way over the top.

I have no objection to paying for those services, but something in the region of an annual charge of £10 each would be more like a reasonable charge.

I had my business phones disconnected for nearly two weeks.

After offering me £11 compensation, BT have still failed to send me the required compensation forms, despite regular requests.

I suppose that's one way of wriggling out of it :mad:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

When I signed up to BT buisness Broadband a few weeks ago I was told it was £29.99 per month including VAT, then I got the bill and it was ex vat.

Also told the broadband would be put on my normal bill... guess what, they're not aloud to.

Also told as soon as the router arrives I can set it up and it will work, when it gets here a letter also arrives telling me I have a connection date of a week later.

When it does work it is sometimes slower than dial up... can't be I'm told by some muppet on the phone, there are only a maximum of 50 using at the same time, I wouldn't notice any drop in speed.

I know I'm tied in for a year but after that... I think I might be moving...

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Guest NickInTheNorth

Wish I had a choice, I can use BT or Scotnet and they cost more for less!

Also I have gin my order, but because the local exchange is not actually going to be enabled until 30th Nov they can't "place the order" until then. So I am told that I should receive my modem around the 7th Dec!!

Don't ya just love monolithic, monopoloistic "businesses".

Guest NickInTheNorth

In what way is it not?

What level of work is it going to involve for BT?

Why does it cost BT so much more to do than virtually any other ISP?

What if I would be providing my own DNS elsewhere?

The £5 charge per month is purely for the provision of a static rather than dynamic IP address. Given that my contract allows me to remain permanently connected how can it be cheaper for them to give me a dynamic rather than static address?