Fishing Ban in Norfolk

Norton1

The long-running summer season conflict on the Norfolk Broads between anglers and boaters that has simmered ever since the phenomenal growth of the floating tourist industry in the 1950s appears to have come to the boil again following a ban on angling being imposed on the Postwick Wharf and Bramerton on the tidal River Yare and at Worlingham and Beccles on the River Waveney.

The spots at Bramerton and Postwick are popular with the elderly and the disabled anglers due to nearby parking and flat banks. I don't know much about the locations on the Waveney.

The Broads Authority have stated that bank anglers can only fish from 30 Oct to 31 March so this effectively is a complete ban on the Yare as unless we have very mild weather because at that time the fish will have migrated into Norwich and the boatyards.

What really gets my goat is that owners and hirers of boats are mooring there and then unloading their gear and fishing from the bank alongside their boats.

The enviroment agency are aware of this and doing nothing, just what am I paying my licence fee for, I live in an area with 120 miles of navigable river, with the amount of bankside fishing negligible especially if you are elderly or disabled and need close by parking. Now to lose more fishing bank is tragedy. Sick Angler

What? Fishing banned on the River Waveney at Worlingham? Outrageous. I grew up down Marsh Lane in Worlingham and cut my angling teeth on that stretch of river ... I will investigate further and report back ...

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• 1 month later...
What? Fishing banned on the River Waveney at Worlingham? Outrageous. I grew up down Marsh Lane in Worlingham and cut my angling teeth on that stretch of river ... I will investigate further and report back ...

The EA have built new swims and the Worlingham Stretch is still free fishing. the North Cove Club own the bank downstream. I also fished Worlingham as a child angler. I still do. I always have a good net full.

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

• 2 years later...

A man with similar gripes as myself

The elderly and disabled in this area are very much an afterthought

Places that have easy access and toilet facilities are as rare hens teeth

One that fits the bill well is Beccles Quay, but as said before is closed for summer - tourists are more important than locals

In winter, if you use a wheelchair, you are blocked by a barrier to stop flooding at spring tides (2/3 per year) - barriers that are completely useless against flood water

Does the barrier really need to be installed ALL winter ?? Surely modern technology can tell us when higher tides are in the forecast so to fit these barriers on the excessvely high tides

Waveney M.P's dont seem to care as I have tried to get them involved

Councils are similarly minds

Does this break disability access laws ???

An angry angler