Proposed legislation.

gozzer

Budgie, I've had cause to contact the EA both by phone and e-mail this year, and have to say that I have no complaints. When contacting them by phone to report out of season fishing, they had their men on the bank within the hour, and I received a phone call to advise me of the outcome (on two occasions),

I too received the automated response to emails, but each time it was followed up by a proper response later, usually by the following day. I'm currently emailing them regarding a possible pollution incident, and they have been very quick to respond.

Janet

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take the odd fish for the pot. Other than trout and sea trout, I take the odd grayling (two last year), perch and jack pike. All pefectly delicious fish. To lump all coarse fish (including grayling) into a no-take basket would pi55 me off in the extreme.

Yours, Mr. Fuming-Gently, Herefordshire.

Spot on, and there is another danger that I have pointed out in the past.

Remove the right to take the occasional fish for the pot, and the only legitimate reason for angling becomes "for pleasure" ie catch and release.

Angling "for pleasure" is very vulnerable to attacks from the Green Party and those with similar views. Angling "for pleasure" is now banned in Germany as a result of "green" activists.

So it couldn't happen here?

Think about how pi$$ed off the electorate are with the main parties, and the likelihood of a hung parliament after the next election. Minority parties such as the "greens" are likely to finish up with a few seats.

The balance of power might well be held by such a minority party - and the price of their support for the largest party (so that it might form a government) might well include bans on angling "for pleasure". Politicians being politicians, their own desire for power will overcome any scruples about criminalising anglers.

This covert legislation needs vigorous opposition - if any fish species are endangered, then slot limits and bag limits for those species are needed - not the laziness of catch-all legislation.

Yours, Mr Coming-to-the-Boil, East Sussex.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Then your obviously luckier in dealings with them then I have been Janet.

I wouldn't have been that suprised to receive answers that I didn't like but to not receive an answer full stop is just plain rude and inefficient.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I suppose I should have added that that I realise that local responses will vary but surely any emails sent to the main EA address would all be dealt with a central body?

I've just registered and completed the consultation form, took me all of ten minutes.

Everyone really should do this whether for or against.

As others have pointed out whether you agree or not the EA have tried to sneak this in and I object to that strongly and let them know so in the questionnaire.

does anybody know if the Angling Trust has been involved in these proposals?

I asked the same question in post 7 capt.

Until I hear different I am assuming that the "angling representatives" mentioned, is indeed the AT.

If I am right, then it's not a good sign for the future.

I've tried a half dozen times to register on the EA site, without success. This borrowed PC is playing up, so this could be the problem. I'll be glad when I get my own back, I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

When I lived in Germany most "local" clubs seemed to have the same set up. The people who administered these clubs/liased with authorities etc etc didnt actually do a great deal of fishing anymore.

They were always very old gents who had fished most of there lives.Now they for one reason and another didnt actually go as much or fish any longer full stop for that matter.What they did have though was a very strong desire to still be part of the sport they had loved all their lives coupled with the imense experience that had brought them.

Its a shame we dont have old dragons like this in our corner as nearly all of the "angling administraters" I see these days are relatively inexperienced (angling wise) fellas trying to make names for them selves or take advantage of whichever body they are with as a vehicle for their own advancement.

Trouble with the UK is it seems that by the time we have reached the German "dragons" level we have seen it all so many times that all though we are disenchanted and moan we simply just roll over and accept defeat!

Ive been involved in angling "politcs" at several levels over the years and admit that I just havent got any fire left either! It just kicks it out of you.You are always in the middle fighting both the authorities and the anglers you expect to support you!

I no longer care what rules or bans etc they bring in.I will see my days out fishing as I always have done and spread the word as well!

Edited by BUDGIE

Fair enough, but I have no problem in promising to return endangered species, whether it's angling or otherwise which has brought them to near extinction. If I caught a salmon I'd be damn sure to return it carefully, after all. That doesn't mean I don't want other, more useful, measures put into place.

Thankfully salmon and game fishing may still be around for me enjoy in my old age long after coarse fishing has been banned by do gooders.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Thankfully salmon and game fishing may still be around for me enjoy in my old age long after coarse fishing has been banned by do gooders.

Yes, it will, thanks to conservation and catch & release :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music