Proposed legislation.

gozzer

Trouble with the UK is it seems that by the time we have reached the German "dragons" level we have seen it all so many times that all though we are disenchanted and moan we simply just roll over and accept defeat!

Ive been involved in angling "politcs" at several levels over the years and admit that I just havent got any fire left either! It just kicks it out of you.You are always in the middle fighting both the authorities and the anglers you expect to support you!

I no longer care what rules or bans etc they bring in.I will see my days out fishing as I always have done and spread the word as well!

I can (as they say) 'identify' with your post Budgie. I'm pretty much at the "Old Dragon" stage myself.

As of my last trip in February and until further notice, I am (in effect) an ex angler.

My circumstances are such that the only viable fisheries open to me are those infected by the 'carp disease'.

As I have often said, if they were the only option for me, then I wouldn't go. So for the first time I can remember I haven't bought a licence this year.

Maybe in some minds, this disqualifies me from having a say in the politics of angling, I don't know.

But angling is so embedded in my life that I find it difficult not to voice my opinions, and fears for the future.

I have argued all my life for what I believe is best for fisheries, not necessarily just angling, (but I believe that if you get the first right, then the second will follow).

So although I might 'see my days out' with, or without a rod in hand. I will still try to "spread the word". :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of my last trip in February and until further notice, I am (in effect) an ex angler.

My circumstances are such that the only viable fisheries open to me are those infected by the 'carp disease'.

Jeeze John that realy sucks.I can understand and accept that many will eventually get to the stage that allthough they still love angling no longer actually "need" to go so much if at all but still feel part of the sport and need to be as such in one form or another.

I am saddened when people can no longer go because of health,wealth or other circumstances.

But Im just sickened when some one feels they dont want to go anymore because the angling they know and love is no longer available to them.Is it really that bad now in your area mate that there are simply no traditional/normal/natural waters handy for you?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Is it really that bad now in your area mate that there are simply no traditional/normal/natural waters handy for you?

If I was prepared, willing or able to spend 2 or 3 hours travelling, with 2 or 3 bus changes, then I could possibly manage to get to some of the closer waters. But I'm past the stage where up to 6 hours travelling (there and back) for a few hours fishing, is pleasurable. I thought nothing of it in my youth, and the bus services were more regular and ran later then.

I have 4 or 5 'fisheries' within 30 mins and 1 hours travel, but they are all carp puddles.

I recently went down into Leeds centre to check out my old spots on the River Aire, (not the most scenic surroundings, but plenty of roach, perch, bream etc). When I got there I found that the areas I used to fish have been built on, virtually to the waters edge. Many of them are gated to restrict times of entry. Where I once knew of at least 40 swims there are now 4 or 5 available, and they were crowded.

I took a few photos, I'll try and post them when I get my own computer back, this thing is crap.

Sad, but it's just one of those things.

It will probably give me more to moan about on here. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

That is a real shame John! I can certainly identify with you though, I'm really struggling with places to fish at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I like fishing for carp on occasion when I want to.... Where I live I'm practically surrounded by water but its pretty much only the rivers that aren't full of carp and some of those are getting to be full of them. I wouldn't mind the carp so much if it wasn't the anglers they attract and the fact its almost impossible to have a choice of swim anymore, and if there is a free swim someone if probably casting in to it from the other bank! I really really long for somewhere where I can float fish for tench, even tiddlers would be great!

We were recently talking about publishing books, I thought a where to NOT fish for carp book would be great! A summary of all the waters not infested with carp near you!

Rich

I asked the same question in post 7 capt.

Until I hear different I am assuming that the "angling representatives" mentioned, is indeed the AT.

If I am right, then it's not a good sign for the future.

I've tried a half dozen times to register on the EA site, without success. This borrowed PC is playing up, so this could be the problem. I'll be glad when I get my own back, I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask.

John.

sorry john, i missed it.

If they have had a hand in this,it will show just how much,how they have no idea.

(For the reasons set out in Vagabonds post.)

I have been of the same way of thinking for a long time.If you leave yourself no other reason for fishing than just the "fun,or sport" of it,you leave yourself very vulnerable,to bans instigated by the Greens,as other countries have found out.

We were recently talking about publishing books, I thought a where to NOT fish for carp book would be great! A summary of all the waters not infested with carp near you!

Rich

If it were a book on my local stillwaters Rich. Then a sheet of A5 folded in two would suffice. That would leave plenty of room for an introduction, any dedications, and a couple of full page photos.

More of a pamphlet really.<_<;)

John.

It's strange that so many are complaining about not being aware of this proposal. It was front page news on the Angling Times dated 30.06.09! It gave you the link and advise you to have your say. I have taken them up on there offer and I emplore all anglers to do likewise, whatever your views.

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day...teach a man to fish and he'll sit on the bank and smile!

Worst. Registration page. Ever.

OK, survey question 1a:

1a. Do you agree that fish removal byelaws should only apply to unenclosed waters (mainly rivers, streams, and drains)?

* Yes

* No

* Don't know

If I answer "yes" to that, will it be taken to imply that I agree it should apply to rivers? Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

That's the rest of it completed, for all the good it will do :rolleyes:

It's strange that so many are complaining about not being aware of this proposal. It was front page news on the Angling Times dated 30.06.09! It gave you the link and advise you to have your say. I have taken them up on there offer and I emplore all anglers to do likewise, whatever your views.

I don't buy any of the weeklies Tweek, they don't really have anything I find interesting. Did they seem for or against it?

Rich