Is the River Thames sick? Thick brown algae...

tiddlertamer

I had been planning to meet up with a friend who lives near Windsor to fish the Thames this weekend.

However, he reports that the river is thick with brown algae.

Since the fishing season opened he has racked up over 100 hours of fishing - on both Wraysbury Lake which has big fish but a low stocking density and is currently covered in green algae - and the Thames.

And he hasn't had a single bite! :o

I did ask if he'd remembered to attach a hook :)

Anyone else got any disturbing reports on the state of the Thames.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had been planning to meet up with a friend who lives near Windsor to fish the Thames this weekend.

However, he reports that the river is thick with brown algae.

Since the fishing season opened he has racked up over 100 hours of fishing - on both Wraysbury Lake which has big fish but a low stocking density and is currently covered in green algae - and the Thames.

And he hasn't had a single bite! :o

I did ask if he'd remembered to attach a hook :)

Anyone else got any disturbing reports on the state of the Thames.

Have not tried the Thames yet this year due to the algae bloom and guys i know who are fishing it have by and large struggled ,the bloom will go soon and then it will be no flow and gin clear unless we get a few thunder storms which could kick start her and get the fish feeding ,Plenty of fish in her though and given better conditions catches will improve ,Cant wait to have a bash got a couple of spots primed up Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I've just checked the weather websites, and that combined with oppressive humidity in London tonight, makes me think we might just get a storm tonight.

If it does arrive, and there is a huge downpour, maybe someone can see if the dreaded brown algae is washed away from the Thames and post something on Anglers Net! :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

It's been brown and ugly since the end of May to my knowledge. While it is possible to catch fish, it's much harder than it should be at this time of year. It hasn't had the bloom into the open season for a few years now, and it's a real bore. A bit of water through it wouldn't do any harm, but after the last 2 summers I'm loathed to do a rain dance for the Thames!

Tim

It's been like it here for a month or so. Even with that good rainy spell a couple of weeks ago, it hasn't improved. Just recently it turned from the thick brown to a more soupy green, but after this heatwave it's going brown again.

It is frustrating as I'm determined to fish the Thames as much as possible this year. I was going to have a go in one of the weirpools this weekend, but I think I'll wait until the river is in better shape. The colour isn't the only problem, there's no flow at all.

I'll put something up here when it improves - I go over the river twice a day so I can easily keep an eye on it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My local river doesn't have a drop of water in it. You have to walk for 100s of yards between pools and what water there is is gin clear and devoid of anything large. It's fry or minnows by the zillion. Where do the fish go?

Do levels get a certain point before the larger fish decided to make a break for it and move before they get trapped or what. I've seen this loads of time in the past and as soon as there's a bit of rain, you'll get fish again.

I always imagine there's a pool somewhere on the river where the vast majority of fish bolt to when it gets like this....just where is the question.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

It's been like it here for a month or so. Even with that good rainy spell a couple of weeks ago, it hasn't improved. Just recently it turned from the thick brown to a more soupy green, but after this heatwave it's going brown again.

It is frustrating as I'm determined to fish the Thames as much as possible this year. I was going to have a go in one of the weirpools this weekend, but I think I'll wait until the river is in better shape. The colour isn't the only problem, there's no flow at all.

I'll put something up here when it improves - I go over the river twice a day so I can easily keep an eye on it.

Anderoo low flow conditions i have found the weir pools the place to be for sport of any kind but with this bloom still in full effect then think that this will be a waste of time as well , Don`t know if you saw the picture in the papers this week of the Hobby taking the Swallow on the wing !!! it was taken off the high bank by Farmoor rese and an amazing shot ,We have moored up by there and watched the Barn Owls hunting the far side of the river at dusk magical part of the river you have up there Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

So its not just me then..

:(

Theres just not enough flow. I've kicked off the season miserably in a few places on the Thames round Oxford using maggots and other things that have usually brought roach,chub,perch etc. Even in a nice weirpool runout with good flow and, you would think, oxgen all i can get is bleak and other pests.

We need a few days of rain.

So its not just me then..

:(

Theres just not enough flow. I've kicked off the season miserably in a few places on the Thames round Oxford using maggots and other things that have usually brought roach,chub,perch etc. Even in a nice weirpool runout with good flow and, you would think, oxgen all i can get is bleak and other pests.

We need a few days of rain.

That's interesting...I nearly had a go in one of the weirpools at the weekend and decided against it. When the river's this low and slow and full of ravenous bleak, I think all you can do is wait for rain, as you say!

Once things are looking healthier I'm looking forward to doing some traditional bream fishing - soft quivertip rod, cage feeder, worms and maggots :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music