Is the River Thames sick? Thick brown algae...

tiddlertamer

Have come down to the boat thinking that the kennet would be rushing through and all the barbel ravenous only to find it the same as the weekend :o ,Where has all that rain gone then??,Slightly better flow at best and i thought it would watch leads would be the order of the day .

Gonna sit it out anyway and see Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put something up here when it improves - I go over the river twice a day so I can easily keep an eye on it.

Hi Anderoo. Any news on the Thames? This week's rain must have made a bit of an impression?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Hi Anderoo. Any news on the Thames? This week's rain must have made a bit of an impression?

I put a post up yesterday evening TT (see towards bottom of p.2) - no improvement to flow, it just made it browner <_<

Very strange, so much for my season on the Thames!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I put a post up yesterday evening TT (see towards bottom of p.2) - no improvement to flow, it just made it browner <_<

Very strange, so much for my season on the Thames!

Thanks Anderoo.

This won't please my friend who blanked again at the weekend at Wraysbury Piut and is targeting the Thames again this weekend.

110 hours without catching.

I might just have to start a thread on historic blanks! :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update - we've had a lot of rain recently and the Thames is finally looking itself again. There's a decent flow which is a joy to behold, but the water is coloured at the moment. Unsurprisingly, the fishing has picked up straight away (see, they were there :D ) - I was chatting to my local tackle dealer yesterday and he's heard of a huge bag of quality bream and roach, plus two (targetted) chub of over 6 and 7 pounds, all within the last few days.

I'm very tempted to fish it tomorrow, but I think I'm going to go and have a look at the perch stream instead. All this extra water will have done it the world of good, and even if the perch are missing (I've no idea where they are this time of year) there might be some good roach or chub...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Quick update - we've had a lot of rain recently and the Thames is finally looking itself again. There's a decent flow which is a joy to behold, but the water is coloured at the moment. Unsurprisingly, the fishing has picked up straight away (see, they were there :D ) - I was chatting to my local tackle dealer yesterday and he's heard of a huge bag of quality bream and roach, plus two (targetted) chub of over 6 and 7 pounds, all within the last few days.

I'm very tempted to fish it tomorrow, but I think I'm going to go and have a look at the perch stream instead. All this extra water will have done it the world of good, and even if the perch are missing (I've no idea where they are this time of year) there might be some good roach or chub...

Yes it looks loads better, I might give it a try myself. Bring on the chub!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

A mate of mine had a 19.5lb carp out around the Sonning area last weekend so things are on the up ,We were out on the river on Tuesday and the flow was much better Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

AWe were out on the river on Tuesday and the flow was much better Steve.

You are always out on the river!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

You are always out on the river!

Went for a long weekend on the boat up to Days lock and then back to the mooring ,caught a lot of small stuff but no bigguns sadly ,Hope to get the Portabote out later this month for a try for some Perch as i havent used it yet on the Thames this year and get flying Tench,Yourself and Rusty out for a trip but not all on the same day otherwise the boat would sink ;):D .

River does look like its worth a go now and we saw some big carp just outside Mappledurham lock eating the bread that everyone had thrown for the Ducks :o they even bully the ducks out of it with boats going in and out of the lock as well !! Steve.

Went for a long weekend on the boat up to Days lock and then back to the mooring ,caught a lot of small stuff but no bigguns sadly ,Hope to get the Portabote out later this month for a try for some Perch as i havent used it yet on the Thames this year and get flying Tench,Yourself and Rusty out for a trip but not all on the same day otherwise the boat would sink ;):D .

River does look like its worth a go now and we saw some big carp just outside Mappledurham lock eating the bread that everyone had thrown for the Ducks :o they even bully the ducks out of it with boats going in and out of the lock as well !! Steve.

I'd be up for a trip sometime. Would a barbel tow the boat?