An evening on the upper Lea

BoldBear

I have just come back from my evening session on the upper Lea near Wheathamstead (Thurs 2nd July), which like most streams in the UK is very low and clear. I didn't expect a lot in this heat but I knew that once the sun had started to set the late evening would give me the best chance of a Barbel or two.

The stream was very low and clear however two anglers who had been fishing all through the day said that the small to medium Roach and Chub had been feeding on and off all day with a couple of Carp cruising up and down occasionally. One of these anglers was still asleep when I arrived signifying what an exciting day he had had.

RoachSwim020709%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

fig 1. The Roach swim showing how low and clear the stream had become.

On my first cast with a pellet legered next to near bank reeds at just after 5pm I had a lovely roach of 1lb 14oz (see pic below) the Roach looked like it had been through the wars in the past with signs of an old tussle maybe with a heron in the past; but it was quite healthy now and fought well.

Roach1lb14oz020709%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

The 1lb 14oz Roach caught on a small Halibut Pellet on a link leger next to the reeds.

The Chub were feeding better now that the sun was sinking lower in the sky; however the largest I could catch was around 1.5lb. normally when the stream is at normal levels much bigger Chub can be caught but they were probably keeping out of the way in deeper water while the river is so low.

The two anglers who had been fishing all day packed up and went home for their dinners at around 6pm then after they had gone I moved into one of their swims which had a narrow section upstream where the water ran faster and the swim looked deeper on the far bank where you could'nt see the bottom.

It was around 8:20pm that I had my first Barbel which I decided to weigh as it looked like it could be around 7 to 8lb but turned out to be 6lb 15oz (see pic)

Barbel6lb15oz020709%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

I had four smaller Barbel in the last hour between 9 to 10pm, all around the 4.5lb to 5lb mark except the last which was a tiny Barbel with delusions of grandeur of around 1.5lb which had decided to take my rod for a swim as I started to pack my gear.

I just managed to grab my rod before it went in for a swim.

Barbel1lb8oz020709%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

The Tiny Barbel that had delusions of grandeur.

tight lines

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Nice report!

I do like the Anglers net forum session reports, really refreshing to read real reports from real anglers, and not just window dressed advertisements trying to sell you something and tell you nothing.

Will write up a few of my own escapades a bit later.

SL/

A great report BB, I really enjoyed that :) What a roach! A really good session in these conditions, it shows what fishing at the right times can bring...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well done BB, looks like you had a great evening.

I wish the Lea at Fishers Green was as fruitfull!

A great report and even better with the pics mate.

What a lovely Roach eh

Is that a free section or club water BB?

Edited by hermes

Is that a free section or club water BB?

Its a one mile section controlled by Verulum AC

NOTE: I have just realised that I had given you an out of date link to the clubs waters above (I thought it was a funny colour) I have corrected the liink now. BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks for the report BB and what a roach, I would be pleased with that in the best of conditions. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep