EA Proposes ban on taking coarse fish for the table

(Note: I know there is a topic linking to this consultation already open. However, the title is bland and the attached press release appears to be disingenuous - putting it politely)

Hello all,

Just came across this consultation in the course of work (not angling related) just published by the EA.

The press release and introductions suggest that the consultation relates to proposals limited to banning anglers taking home eels and shad for the table.

However, having read through to the end, what they are actually proposing is introducing new byelaws that would allow the EA to ban anglers taking any species of coarse fish from rivers, streams and drains. They also make their preference to ban the taking of all coarse fish from all fisheries pretty clear (although admit that this is an "unrealistic" aim).

From the consultation (my bold):

We do not think that a complete ban on removing coarse fish is realistic. For the reasons above, a ban or restrictions cannot be applied to most stillwaters. We suggest the following structure:

-All eels and shad caught by rod and line in any waters must be returned.

-All coarse fish (including grayling) caught by rod and line from rivers, streams, drains (and certain named large stillwaters) must be returned – with possible exceptions based on:

-species/numbers/sizes

-non-natives

The byelaw may need to define enclosed and unenclosed waters...

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/stati...g_logo)_(3).pdf

There seem to be several EA officials around here (is there an official relationship between the Agency and this site, out of interest?).

Would somebody please confirm that the above is what the EA are proposing? If so, why are they trying to bury it in a consultation that is ostensibly about banning anglers taking eels and shad, which I imagine pretty much nobody disagrees with?