River Wandle and Inner City Fishing - update

nursejudy

Guest sslatter

Whoops! Just remembered that the river that bissects Streatham and Norbury is the Graveney, which runs into the Wandle somewhere (I think).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grahame,the Graveny joins the wandle at Tooting Graveny.Think it runs underground for most of it's length.

The weir at Morden Hall Park is reputed to hold some good barbel.There is no fishing allowed but it does get fished,that's for sure.

The river by Abbey Mills in morden/Mitcham looks really nice,but would imagine it needs to be fished evening/night.Trouble is it is not in a to good an area.Further up around Phipps Bridge is nice,But would not even walk around the area ,let alone leave a car or van there!

Chuby.

Nice link Argyll. Its surprising to see how many parks and places of interest there are along the river.

I've fished late afternoons and evenings into the dark dark in teh hopes of a barbel. So far I've had no trouble but I've been nervous a few times. If a bunch of trouble makers come along intent on having "a bit of fun" there's not much you can do.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

I know bits of the river from working in various spots around South West London but I've never stopped to think about the river as a whole and connect everything up so to speak. I've enjoyed this thread because I've discovered other bits of the river and its given me fresh impetus to fish it some more. I regularly use the garden centre in Morden Hall Park and never even connected the river running alongside with the Wandle. Nice to think it can only get even better.

The other thing that surprised me was how many people on this forum know or live in the area, for a long time I though I was the only one from Souf London. Cheers all...nice one. Thanks nursy.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

intresting,i know of the wandle,i dont fish it bit far for me too dangerous to go souf! :D

i fish a similar stream in east of london,and you would be suprised what lives there.sometimes if i tuck my self in a nice spot with some cover, i almost feel like im not in london.i ve caught some wonderfull fish in london give it a go cos you never know(and dont be put off by the areas there in!)

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

There's loads of these little waters all over the place Ratty. I grew up in the East End (Stepney and Bromley by Bow)and went to school in Bow. The first fish I ever caught was in Victoria Park boating lake, second fish was out of the regents canal on the other side of the road. Always fancied having a little trip back to the canal to see how its fishing.

a true cockney then argyll,viccy park lake holds some good carp now,and people even night fish it,not sure about the canal probably a few bream shaols n perch doubt much roach left oh n plenty of jacks mopeds n shopping trolleys!!you could alwyas go back just to reminise for a few hours...try it.i live in leyton mate,did you ever fish the real lea at the back of hackney marshes?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I fished the Lea all the way up to Hoddesdon where my gran had a tomato farm. The only thing I ever did at the back of Hackney Marshes was ...........well..........

Ratty,yup you gotta be ard to fish down ere arand souf london,know wat i mean mate.

Seriously though it is a shame that some of the stretches,not only on the Wandle,but also the Thames and most probably other rivers and lakes are almost no go area's,least way at night.

chuby