River Wandle and Inner City Fishing - update

nursejudy

Good to hear.I was gutted about the last pollution as I had really got into the river.All those chublets boded well for the future then bang! But like I said glad to here all is well again.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well judging by the date of the last posting on this site, I'm probably casting into a dead lake. I can't honestly believe that as it's been mentioned on this page at various points on this blog about the re-birth of the Wandle no one has written on here since. Just to let anyone know, who was interested many years ago, and have probably moved away, the Wandle has gone from strenghth to strenghth over the past few years, and despite the water authority, of all people, poisoning it twice in the past 4 years, it has become a superb river for both fishing and wildlife. I am a fisherman and a lover of wildlife so recognise what a good thing I have here. I live 2 minutes from the bank and fish it at least 2-3 times a week, mainly just before nightfall. There are roach, dace, trout,( both brown and rainbow ),eels, carp and tench and by far my most favourite the mighty barbel in abundance now. I had 4 double figure barbs up to 13.2lb last year on the faster stretches, and many between 7 and 9 lb's.

There is a problem with a certain large, black, fish eating sea bird, which at present cannot be culled which is killing huge amounts of small fish, but by far the biggest problem that I have seen so far is the common eastern europen angler. They appear in groups, or even own their own, with licences to fish, so no one can send them away, and bag up on everything that swims, whether large or small, and run off with it! I've even seen the remains of BBQ'd carp and barbel on the bank. Surely if we eventually get a licence to shoot cormorants these chaps cant be far behind.

Wherever you guys from a few years ago are now, I hope things are going well for you, and tights lines!!!!!!!

I was fishing on the Wandle, with a good friend, just yesterday, far from being peaceful or idyllic it's all we Londoners really have on offer, however the fishing really is getting better! During this four hour trip I was fortunate enough to net two beautiful barbel, small they were but they gave a good account of themselves, I make no exaggeration when I say the second one fought in the rapidly moving water like a 10lb carp!

Here are some photos of them.

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero