Small Rivers in Nottinghamshire

1965nick

Thanks for the information so far, it has made very interesting reading.

I grew up fishing small rivers; the river Ivel, the River Flit, Elstow brook, and the upper Ouse at first, and then the very upper reaches of the Cam in Essex for wild trout, I then moved to Nottingham, I've never really been a fan of the Trent, far too big for me. I like the Derwent, Dove and Ecclesbourne, but they're too far from me. Tried the Eye above Melton as a member of a small but now defunct syndicate, and caught superb roach to 2lb plus, chub to 6lb plus, and some nice perch. Hence my interest in small rivers around Nottingham

Can anyone else give me any more information?

• 4 months later...

Hi did you try fishing any of the rivers you mentioned on your list?

I live in Ollerton which gives me easy access to many a small river. The best one on the list has got to be the River Maun, Ive been fishing this for the past 10 years with many p.b weights. There is large head of fish in the Maun anywhere between Mansfield sewage works and where it meets the river meden near Gamston (retford). You can expect to find Barbel upto 8lb, chub to 5lb, roach and perch to 2lb, pike to 12lb+, eels to 3lb+, dace to 1lb, there is the odd browny, the biggest i had out was 3 and a bit pound. Also I would recommend fishing for minnow as there is 1000's of the creatures around Ollerton with some reaching 3 inches in length. Fishing is Free along most of the stretch.

The river meden is a much harder river to fish due to finding the fish and getting permission to fish it. What you will find with the River meden is that there is less fish but when you do find them, they are a lot bigger than them of the Maun. In the few spots i have fished, i know of pike to 18lb+, perch and roach to 3lb, barbel to 9lb, carp to 9lb, bream to 12lb, trout to 5lb. I do know a spot of private estate land but have not been able to get rights to fish it with potential of chub upto 7lb, which of course is well worth a shot...

I recommend you look at any stream, ditch or river in nottinghamshire even if its less than a metre wide as you will be suprised what you see. One of the greatest days fishing ive had was fishing Rainworth water at Rufford Ford at Rufford Country park. I spent 10 hours fishing in waders from the road with a tally of over 120 fish including chub, roach, perch and gudgeon. I also lost a much bigger fish due to using light gear. Theres even videos on youtube by shocked visitors suprised by me fishing it.

Other rivers/waters/becks i would recommend are:

River Poulter (Langworth to Gamston (retford)),

River Idle (Gamston to Bawtry)

Dover Beck (Calverton to Caythorpe)

Rainworth Water (Blidworth to Ollerton)

Theres a stream at Shelford worth a look,

Anyway I hope that helps you let me know how you get on if you try it? If you have any more problems especially the River Maun Ill be willing to help as Im on it every week usually.

• 9 months later...

I live in Ollerton which gives me easy access to many a small river. The best one on the list has got to be the River Maun, Ive been fishing this for the past 10 years with many p.b weights. There is large head of fish in the Maun anywhere between Mansfield sewage works and where it meets the river meden near Gamston (retford). You can expect to find Barbel upto 8lb, chub to 5lb, roach and perch to 2lb, pike to 12lb+, eels to 3lb+, dace to 1lb, there is the odd browny, the biggest i had out was 3 and a bit pound. Also I would recommend fishing for minnow as there is 1000's of the creatures around Ollerton with some reaching 3 inches in length. Fishing is Free along most of the stretch.

The river meden is a much harder river to fish due to finding the fish and getting permission to fish it. What you will find with the River meden is that there is less fish but when you do find them, they are a lot bigger than them of the Maun. In the few spots i have fished, i know of pike to 18lb+, perch and roach to 3lb, barbel to 9lb, carp to 9lb, bream to 12lb, trout to 5lb. I do know a spot of private estate land but have not been able to get rights to fish it with potential of chub upto 7lb, which of course is well worth a shot...

I recommend you look at any stream, ditch or river in nottinghamshire even if its less than a metre wide as you will be suprised what you see. One of the greatest days fishing ive had was fishing Rainworth water at Rufford Ford at Rufford Country park. I spent 10 hours fishing in waders from the road with a tally of over 120 fish including chub, roach, perch and gudgeon. I also lost a much bigger fish due to using light gear. Theres even videos on youtube by shocked visitors suprised by me fishing it.

Anyway I hope that helps you let me know how you get on if you try it? If you have any more problems especially the River Maun Ill be willing to help as Im on it every week usually.

Hi,

I am a member of the River Erewash Foundation, but am looking to expand my horizons this summer. I'm interested in fishing the following rivers, has anyone tried already, information or advice?

River Leen

River Maun

River Meden

Bagthorpe Brook

Clifton brook

River Smite

River Greet

Hallougton Dumble

I am in the main a fly fisher (some of you may know from the fly fishing forum, but I do like to get my avon rod and pin out, or my ultra light spinning rod as well.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me!

• 11 months later...
Hi,

I am a member of the River Erewash Foundation, but am looking to expand my horizons this summer. I'm interested in fishing the following rivers, has anyone tried already, information or advice?

River Leen

River Maun

River Meden

Bagthorpe Brook

Clifton brook

River Smite

River Greet

Hallougton Dumble

I am in the main a fly fisher (some of you may know from the fly fishing forum, but I do like to get my avon rod and pin out, or my ultra light spinning rod as well.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Hi

Did you ever fish anyone of these small river in Nottingham?

Kind Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know that this is a really old thread but I am attempting to catch barbel from 50 different UK rivers. So far I have managed 42 but with fuel costs going through the roof I need to find more venues closer to home. If anyone can help me with areas that I can fish and whether they are free sections or require a day ticket or club membership I'd appreciate it. The Maun and Meden sound interesting. I'm also told that there are barbel in the Ryton?

I do love small rivers and streams.

Regards

Conrad

I know that this is a really old thread but I am attempting to catch barbel from 50 different UK rivers. So far I have managed 42 but with fuel costs going through the roof I need to find more venues closer to home. If anyone can help me with areas that I can fish and whether they are free sections or require a day ticket or club membership I'd appreciate it. The Maun and Meden sound interesting. I'm also told that there are barbel in the Ryton?

I do love small rivers and streams.

Regards

Conrad

Update

I managed to catch barbel on the Maun, Medan and Leen since posting this. I've had a very good weekend!

Conrad,

Welcome to AN. Very interesting "competition" for yourself. I suspect you will get more interest with a new thread. Just tell us the story again on the new thread.

I'm in the US - no help whatsoever.

Phone

Thanks for the information so far, it has made very interesting reading.

I grew up fishing small rivers; the river Ivel, the River Flit, Elstow brook, and the upper Ouse at first, and then the very upper reaches of the Cam in Essex for wild trout, I then moved to Nottingham, I've never really been a fan of the Trent, far too big for me. I like the Derwent, Dove and Ecclesbourne, but they're too far from me. Tried the Eye above Melton as a member of a small but now defunct syndicate, and caught superb roach to 2lb plus, chub to 6lb plus, and some nice perch. Hence my interest in small rivers around Nottingham

Can anyone else give me any more information?

River devon in Newark.

Great stocks of Roach, Perch, Bream.

There are still some Pike in there to upper 20's but many were lost after a group of 20 anglers killed every Pike they caught about 5 years ago. Zander have been recorded but I haven't seen any myself.

The odd Carp and big Tench are taken in the summer with Chub just beginning to make their presence known again after a 15 year absence.

It used to be a great Eel river but I have heard of none being taken for 4 years.

When I was younger the Council used to clear out all the weed in Autumn which gave excellent fishing channels but they stopped this and so it can be a little weedy.

It is day ticket water and not too far from the main park carpark.

Best pegs are around the water treatment outlet on the Devon park stretch just upstream from the road bridge.

My Son recently took out a great 2lb Perch.

Unfortunately, I must advise you to keep an eye on your tackle as you can be pestered by children who will use distraction techniques to help themselves to your bits.