Right to fish/roam

poledark

Hope Elton won't mind this post, but there is a VERY interesting topic on http://www.barbelfishingworld.co.uk re the right to fish. Click on messages and then barbel talk.

Particularly the very long post explaining how the rights of the common man were lost.

Den

[ 22. May 2005, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark:

Hope Elton won't mind this post, but there is a VERY interesting topic on http://www.barbelfishingworld.co.uk re the right to fish. Click on messages and then barbel talk.

Particularly the very long post explaining how the rights of the common man were lost.

Den

Mind-boggling, Den - the whole site, and the some of the sentiments (not to mention the macho posturing) displayed and expressed...

Just glad that I got hardcore barbel- (and mahseer-) fishing out of my system when I did - when the going was better, even good...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Dear Den,

This has gone completely over my head. Can you please explain what this particular thread was/is all about?

Dear Paul,

I always thought Mahseer fishing deserved to be out the brackets and barbel fishing now a days placed inside them? If Andy Orme-Paul Boote-Dennis Darkin and a long line of great anglers taught us one thing, it was how to behave like gentlemen.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again;

I'm just glad I'm normal.

ish.

Regards,

Lee.

This the actual topic http://p081.ezboard.com/fbarbelfishingworl...icID=7509.topic

The post I referred to is about halfway down on the second page (by ijack)

Like you Paul, I am glad I did my barbel fishing when I was younger, but even though the scene may have changed, with the emphasis being on the search for "doubles" and the use of boilies and hair rigs (which I also got caught up in ), there is still a bit of magic left, simply because unlike big carp fishing there is still an element of the unknown in a river.

Just seen your link ajay, thanks for that,

Den

[ 23. May 2005, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Interesting stuff Den. The reality is that farmers can charge what they like. Anglers, on the other hand, can refuse to pay. Its called market forces. Trouble is that some anglers haven't cottoned on to this fact and WILL pay, thus opening the door to higher charges for us all.

Some interesting points but they are talking about Barbel, a very trendy fish at the moment, with the demand for fishing for large specimens outstripping the amount of venues holding them leading to vast rents being paid for these waters.

The trouble is that other Landowners/farmers think they can charge the same exorbitant rates on waters that do not have these fish in them.

We in angling clubs are finding this all the time; unjustified rent increases, fuelled by rights auctions on other rivers, for fishing for a species that does not exist on the stretch of water we are trying to rent.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Originally posted by poledark:

This the actual topic http://p081.ezboard.com/fbarbelfishingworl...icID=7509.topic

Like you Paul, I am glad I did my barbel fishing when I was younger, but even though the scene may have changed, with the emphasis being on the search for "doubles" and the use of boilies and hair rigs (which I also got caught up in ), there is still a bit of magic left, simply because unlike big carp fishing there is still an element of the unknown in a river.

Den [/quote

Oh yes, still some magic in them, Den - I haven't given up barbel entirely. I am merely careful where I do it these days, and just who I tell! As for boilies and the hair, I was on to them VERY early, in the early '80s - growing up and learning my pit- and river-fishing as I did in the Colne Valley, then living at the time very close to Wraysbury and Horton helped (and knowing these waters' three best fishers and pioneers - Pete, Ken, and a certain 'Kevin' - no, not the Kevin who many of you know, but another, a bit of a 'shy boy' like me, and one heck of a fisher)... So, then, I know 'all' about - and sometimes even use - the hair - when I absolutely have to!

[ 23. May 2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I don't understand this 'other users do not pay' lark?

I used to leap off windy hills, had to pay my subs to a Hang Gliding club who paid the farmers for access and keeping the roads 'useable' etc.

I was involved in motorcross - once again a decent sum was paid to the farmer to wreck his fields.

Just because walkers and twitcher types don't pay then we shouldn’t?? Do the walkers dig out 'swims' into the bank? Do they demand parking and stiles?

Of course 'market forces' come into play, I'm a member of one of the more expensive open angling clubs (over £100 pa) and we have still had lakes nicked by others that want to pay more for exclusive rights. To blame the farmer because anglers are greedy seems most odd to me.

"You never see a farmer on a bike" - Well why should you, he's got a good few million tied up in his land - he would probably get a better return in the bank, from housing or playing the money markets but many of them have it 'in their blood' and make very little for the huge investment they have in their land , and in my opinion they should be able to march the oiks off their land! (they only litter it and let their dogs crap all over it).

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.