A GOOD DAY...

Janet

A nice report and photos as usual Janet :).

You didn't say what you trimmed your (wrong) line with, I find it easier and neater to use nail clippers on mono rather than scissors (although nail clippers are useless with braid).

1, Attach reel and thread line through guides.

2. Remove reel and attach the right way round.......brilliant

3. Start again.

4. Thread line through guides.

5. Rewind line and thread through the missed guides.

6. Start again.

7, Thread line through guides, this time making sure line is under bale arm.......newbie attack...lol

8, Attach hooklink.

9. Remove hooklink.

10. Add float (I knew there was something missing….)

11. NOW add hooklink!

12. Trim off tag end of line.

13. Assemble landing net.

14. Use landing net to retrieve float and hooklink,

13. Start again after accidentally cutting main line.....were you bevvied?

14. See point 7…..

Janet, just what were you taking the previous night??

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

You didn't say what you trimmed your (wrong) line with, I find it easier and neater to use nail clippers on mono rather than scissors (although nail clippers are useless with braid).

Up until a while ago I was using some dinky little embroidery scissors! They were rather nice, as they had stylised fish on the handles....unfortunately they are now at the bottom of the Rochdale Canal... :angry:

I'm now using a set of Middy Protector Scissors, which work very well, provided I cut the right bit of line! :blink: I do have some clippers, which I bought for fly fishing, but I can't find the damn things anywhere!

Janet, just what were you taking the previous night??

Nothing Andy, honest! :rolleyes:

To be honest, I was so laid back that I was functioning on auto-pilot! It was such a lovely day, and I was totally distracted by the moorhen chicks and all the damsel and dragonflies that were flitting about. I really wasn't concentrating, as you can tell!

Janet

Edited by Janet

As normal I thoroughly enjoyed reading your report Janet, thanks.

NB. For trimming knots etc. in mono I use a set of nail clippers attached to a retractable cord pinned to my waistcoat, it saves me from losing it as I always used to do, but for braid I use braid scissors.

Nice Photos with your report as well. :camera:

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Very interesting Janet, took me back 20+ years when I used to fish a similar looking pond, catch a similar stamp of fish and love every minute of it. Then one day, in the autumn, cold, wet and returning a net full of fish . . . I though there must be something better than this???

Not a good time in my life I have to say, approaching 40, milestone and all that . . . I searched for something better, tried trout/fly fishing . . . gets pricey, especially if you catch your limit in the first hour :huh: . . . Winding on, now facing the run up to retirement, another milestone in the distance, but very visible. However one has spent the best part of the intervening years afloat off our wonderful British Coast line. Had a great time, plenty of large fish, and some tiddlers!

Learned all about boats, owned a few . . . But you know what, your report has fired the desire to get the course tackle out . . . Oh dear, what will Hazel say? Still got it all, not sold a thing, doubt the original line will be any good :P

Why :g: I can see . . . perhaps feel? . . . the passage of time. Aches and pains when on a boat become very acute these days, boats cost a lot of money, more pain, in the pocket!

Moved home since those early years, from Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire, to South Suffolk in 2001. No idea even where the local pond is . . . however, I have friends in the local tackle business, and I live within 100 yards of 'Breakaway Tackle' in Ipswich.

One has held some sort of fishing rod for as long as one can remember, read 'Mr Crabtree goes fishing' endlessly, my original copy fell apart from wear :D It was the only way to learn, my dear Dad, new nothing more than a fresh cut hazel stick, length of cotton and a bent pin, which is my first memory, my Dad in his shed bending that pin. One feels 'roots' stirring . . . food for thought, much soul (or is that 'sole') searching . . . :unsure:

SW

Nice post SW.

I think it all boils down to what we like, what we're comfortable with, and what we can actually manage to do. I love fly fishing, but I can't do it all the time. I don't have the knowledge, technique or the access to waters. Sea fishing I would love to do, but I'm constrained as I don't have any transport and don't know anyone who can take me out.

When I first started, I was keen to learn everything, from coarse fishing on lakes and rivers to fly and sea fishing...of course I couldn't do them all, but I did a fair bit of different types of fishing. I drove myself half bonkers trying to learn different techniques, bait, rigs etc. I spent endless hours on websites just absorbing it all. Then I realised that it was supposed to be fun and not an endurance test....!

Now I've settled into something I love, and I make no apologies for it. Each to his own? I can't think of anything better than being on my little lake as the dawn rises, with good friends and the expectation of a good day...it doesn't always turn out to be a good day, but I've never gone home disappointed, even when I've blanked....

I just love being there, with the usual motley crew of other anglers who make the day so entertaining. I love the banter, making the brews, wandering around taking photographs and just the way I feel at the end of the day....

It wouldn't suit everyone, but it sure suits me!

Janet

Nice post SW.

Then I realised that it was supposed to be fun and not an endurance test....!

Now I've settled into something I love, and I make no apologies for it. Each to his own? I can't think of anything better than being on my little lake as the dawn rises, with good friends and the expectation of a good day...it doesn't always turn out to be a good day, but I've never gone home disappointed, even when I've blanked....

I just love being there, with the usual motley crew of other anglers who make the day so entertaining. I love the banter, making the brews, wandering around taking photographs and just the way I feel at the end of the day....

It wouldn't suit everyone, but it sure suits me!

Janet

I think you might have hit the nail on the head Janet, not old, by modern standards, but believe me, one does feel pressure these days in sea fishing, I want fun, to relax. Sea fishing can get a bit OTT I find sometimes, my competitive edge has long gone . . . believe me, my competitive edge had a 'competitive edge' in a previous life, I took no prisoners, but that was a whole different ball game.

The idea of re discovering that early life of happy memories and total relaxation . . . as I say, its time to do some soul searching . . . ?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

The idea of re discovering that early life of happy memories and total relaxation . . . as I say, its time to do some soul searching . . . ?

Go for it SW! Dust of your old float rod and spend a day chilling out... :D

That's just what I'm going to do today. I've booked a day off to spend a few hours on my lake. We've a work party starting at four o'clock, so then I'll be relegated to brew making and catering duties!

However, I've packed my chest waders, so there's a chance I may be IN the lake for a change, helping to prune the lilies...that should be fun!

Janet