wells catfish season 09

michael d

A cat over 60lbs is a great fish. Did she fight well?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

To be precise the last cat actually acepted as a record was a fish of 62lb (28.123 kilo’s) caught in 1997 by Richard Garner from Withy Pool, Henlow, Bedfordshire. All though several have cast doubts on this fishs true origins!

It was the increase in popularity of the species which brought about todays present situation. Along with a lot of fish stealing from the all ready established cat fish waters unscrupulous fishery owners soon took advantage of the few anglers traveling abroad to fish for big cats. All of the origonal regular Euro cat anglers I know were asked/offered money to bring specimens home.Not just Brits mind as in the mid 90's every man and his dog seemed to be moving big cats around Europe!

The sad thing is that cats dont need to be of the crazy sizes we catch them abroad to be a worthwhile species.Catching 20 pounders on 2lb rods and 11lb line that had been born in the UK was just as much fun as catching huge fish abroad.The modern curse of "instant" has well and truely struck here.

And as usual the good old EA did sod all about it other than bring in legislation that only affected law abiding people anyway!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Briefly on the subject of the French influence on our carp record list.I read and hear this a lot.Yes there are a lot of imported carp in many waters but I can assure you that none of the Collinbrook fish are! I was catching them many years ago as high doubles and above they werent "born" in the water but I know where the origonal stocking came from and it was long before the days of French imports!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Done 2 sessions this year, first was too early in March and was way to cold to catch, second I managed to catch my first ever cat, even at 15lb it put a hell of a bend in my 3lb pike rod and went well :)

Going to book a couple more sessions this yearto see if I can bag something a bit more sizable before it starts cooling down and the cats go to sleep for the winter

Done 2 sessions this year, first was too early in March and was way to cold to catch, second I managed to catch my first ever cat, even at 15lb it put a hell of a bend in my 3lb pike rod and went well :)

Going to book a couple more sessions this yearto see if I can bag something a bit more sizable before it starts cooling down and the cats go to sleep for the winter

nice one mate they do put up a good fight :fishing1:

Indeed they do, I was quite surprised!

I really wanted to catch a cat this year and was chuffed to have managed it...the lake though (Todber Manor) that I've been fishing does contain a good head of bigger fish so I've got to go back.

I can only imagine what a 30/40 plus cat must go like...I bet they are very hard to stop when they've got up some speed

Indeed they do, I was quite surprised!

I really wanted to catch a cat this year and was chuffed to have managed it...the lake though (Todber Manor) that I've been fishing does contain a good head of bigger fish so I've got to go back.

I can only imagine what a 30/40 plus cat must go like...I bet they are very hard to stop when they've got up some speed

i have had cats up to 115lb

but they fight best when you get a 40lb to 60lber on 15lb mono line my century sp take a bit of a beating lol