Multi Purpose Rod

bloodhound

I have been asked to try to find some info on an old rod. There is markings on each splice which says NJP with a crown logo. It is 6 pieces, made from what appears to be cane & bamboo and is changeable between a fly & spinning rod.

I have been asked to try to find some info on an old rod. There is markings on each splice which says NJP with a crown logo. It is 6 pieces, made from what appears to be cane & bamboo and is changeable between a fly & spinning rod.

It sounds very much like a rod that was imported in huge numbers during the latter part of the 1950s and much of the 1960s they came in sets in a wooden box usually with a couple of spinners and some flies. Their quality was generally poor but they were welcome enough at the time I owned a couple of them as a kid and they did the job you usually got two tips for the fly rod part.

Value..........not a lot they turn up regularly on ebay

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

...latter part of the 1950s and much of the 1960s ... I owned a couple of them as a kid

Just one question; if they were not imported until the late fifties, how did you have them as a kid? :P

"Ducking"

OT

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

B'stard :P:D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Yep, imported rods from Japan. These were frequently bought back by (and probably made specifically for) G.I.s. There were a couple of dozen makers who mostly came under the banner of Nippon Fishing Tackle (NFT). These were generally cheap rods but not necessarily bad. Some are better than others! Casting with one will tell you whether it's ok or not.

If you get a split cane rod with the name (Ichimatsu) Tada, or Tada Fishing Tackle Works, Ltd. on it this may well be of higher quality. Again the acid test is using it. Tada's quality rods usually had ferrules lacquered the same colour as the rod whippings etc not (generally) the chromed ferrules of the cheaper rods.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!