Do I or don't I

Kappa

I've recently moved very close to a couple of lakes. I can walk to them in about 2 minutes!

They're supposed to contain perch to almost 5lbs and 2lb plus roach. So whats the problem? Carp! There are also loads of carp so the water is muddy and you can't fish light but worst of all its full of instant anglers (insert sound of bite alarms being 'tinkered with' from every swim). Last time I went, once I started catching a 2oz lead landed about 6ft from my float. Seems a guy on a different bank wanted to get in on the action. There are also lots of swims very close to each other which would be fine for float or pole but a problem when everyone is casting to the horizon. Given the nature of the place the fish are also quite poor condition.

So what should I do? Its really nice to be able to nip out fishing for 30mins. But its not a very nice place to fish but then there are some very large perch! Am I a snob? What should I do?

Rich

Given the nature of the place the fish are also quite poor condition.

That says enough for me to steer clear.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

seeing as the place is full of carp anglers then it might be that the perch and roach are left alone. Maybe only the carp are in bad condition but the roach and perch are ok. i would be tempted to leave it alone until later in the year when the fair weather anglers have gone, say after October or in to november. then fish it during the week during the working day. you never know it might be ok.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I would go with what Peter said Richard.The only good thing Ive found from the emergence of the commercial phenomenon is as said the roach and perch are never fished for and grow to good sizes.

Try and go mid week if possible.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree with Peter too - it does sound as though the perch really do exist, even if their size has been exaggerated a bit (although maybe not), and it would be silly to ignore them. As everyone's using boilies/pellets I doubt the perch get caught much at all.

It sounds a bit of a circus at the moment, but that's Summer for you! The bad condition of the fish is depressing, and avoiding the carp does sound difficult. Have you tried fish baits yet?

For the roach, maybe use hemp on the drop, recasting regularly. I expect anything left on the bottom will get 'hoovered'!

I'd look upon it as an interesting challenge, with some big rewards if you get it right.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Get a size 1 Mepps Aglia Decoreé (gold/red spots) on and you'll soon find out if there's big perch in there. Failing that, try twitching some lobs in slowly under a loafer.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

seeing as the place is full of carp anglers then it might be that the perch and roach are left alone. Maybe only the carp are in bad condition but the roach and perch are ok. i would be tempted to leave it alone until later in the year when the fair weather anglers have gone, say after October or in to november. then fish it during the week during the working day. you never know it might be ok.

Second that, the cold/wet weather will get rid of a lot of the plums there and leave more room for yourself

So sad that so many of our natural waters have been destroyed by the introduction of huge numbers of these alien fish in order to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Personally, I'd give the place a wide berth.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

i have a lake that is within walking distance of where i live but the problem with it isnt over stocking of carp or the types of anglers fishing for them, its the 100s of kids that drink there and throw rubbish all over the banks and deposit shopping trolleys and other presents into the swims

but cos its so close i find myself sitting there and every time i catch a fish there is a chav pedalling a bmx at you shouting he as got one and then the usually questions of "what have caught in here my brother caught a 20lb carp on saturday"

if you are not limited to this lake i would go else where or maybe go for a walk around the lake first and see how many numptys are on there before you pay for a session and have your enjoyment ruined