Windy Weather

islwyn

Hi just come back from Aberavon beach. It's blowing a hooligan so I didn't get the boat wet. I was in Caswell Bay earlier today, which looked fine but, guess what, I left my life jacket at home. What a bummer!! The wind looks better tommorow so i'm off to Caswell again; with jacket.

I'm not fishing yet as I have to learn re-entry procedures first. Last time out I found it very hard to get back on top. Safety first then kippers.

As you have probably gathered I'm a complete beginner at kayaking but full of enthusiasm. So anyone feeling foolhardy enough to join me tomorrow will be guaranteed a laugh at least.

I'm 56, live in Swansea. Mostly I need some advice about weather conditions and re-entry tips. I dare-not go into deep water before I'm safe. I'm doing a 3 hour course with Celtic Events at Caswell on the 26th of this month hopefully that will help, but all help will be gratefully recieved.

B)

Hi just come back from Aberavon beach. It's blowing a hooligan so I didn't get the boat wet. I was in Caswell Bay earlier today, which looked fine but, guess what, I left my life jacket at home. What a bummer!! The wind looks better tommorow so i'm off to Caswell again; with jacket.

I'm not fishing yet as I have to learn re-entry procedures first. Last time out I found it very hard to get back on top. Safety first then kippers.

As you have probably gathered I'm a complete beginner at kayaking but full of enthusiasm. So anyone feeling foolhardy enough to join me tomorrow will be guaranteed a laugh at least.

I'm 56, live in Swansea. Mostly I need some advice about weather conditions and re-entry tips. I dare-not go into deep water before I'm safe. I'm doing a 3 hour course with Celtic Events at Caswell on the 26th of this month hopefully that will help, but all help will be gratefully recieved.

B)

Hi,It was a shame about the wind today.did you try the far end of the beach,near the docks.The two breakwaters create a sheltered bay ideal for practicing. Theres also a free car park to boot.Im 54 and live in Aberavon. There are a number of clips on you tube,demonstating re-entry techniques,they might be of some help. I launch at Aberavon a few days a week, no doubt I will see you there some day.

regards Martin

B)

I too have studdied the videos of re entry and easiest way I find to get back on is from the rear, draging your self over the seat can be awkward but still easier than the side entry ( if like me. you'r arms are short!). I find Oxwich a great place to paddle, and a few species of fish to be found too! another nice little jaunt is to set off from Caswell and paddle to Pwll Du bay, not too far and if your lucky (as I was) you may see a seal or two. Not a shy animal and you can get quite close to them.

Brian.

In life, some times your the pigeon........... and some times your the statue!

Hi Martin I went to Caswell todaythere by 7.30 am it was terific a bit of a swell but not too much.

practiced re-entry a few times with a paddle float and managed to get back in ok but I need to practice lots more till I'm confident. Paddled half way to Pwll Du then came back. Off work till Monday so i'll be back there tommorow morning, weather forcast looks good.

I did check out the sheltered bay by the breakwaters yesterday it was still dodgy.

Hope to see you there. iv'e got a blue 10' Tarpon.

Hi,It was a shame about the wind today.did you try the far end of the beach,near the docks.The two breakwaters create a sheltered bay ideal for practicing. Theres also a free car park to boot.Im 54 and live in Aberavon. There are a number of clips on you tube,demonstating re-entry techniques,they might be of some help. I launch at Aberavon a few days a week, no doubt I will see you there some day.

regards Martin

Hi Brian Checked out a few videos very helpful. iv'e tried a few methods and so far the paddle float method is the only one I can manage. The rear re-entry is out really because I have a crate in the stern well, which holds my trolley. The method I find easiest is to traverse the boat with the paddle + float about 3' from the bow and grab the handle and swinging a leg over the paddle pull myself on board turning into the seat at the same time. Not easy but it works. I intend to try any method I can untill I find the best for me. Hopefully then I can dispense with the paddle float till then I wanna be safe.

Hope to be in Caswell again tommorow it was great this morning. Regards Islwyn

I too have studdied the videos of re entry and easiest way I find to get back on is from the rear, draging your self over the seat can be awkward but still easier than the side entry ( if like me. you'r arms are short!). I find Oxwich a great place to paddle, and a few species of fish to be found too! another nice little jaunt is to set off from Caswell and paddle to Pwll Du bay, not too far and if your lucky (as I was) you may see a seal or two. Not a shy animal and you can get quite close to them.

Brian.

Hi Islwyn, yes forgot about the crates some have, also I think it would be difficult with some of the other attachments like the rod holders at the front of the cockpit! lots of issues here me thinks. Have you modified your yak extensively as others have done? I was out of Oxwich when I managed to capsize (where the lobster boats are anchored) talk about panic! I tried to get on side ways but it is surprising how high the yak sits in the water and after a struggle I finaly pulled myself aboard from the back. All these attachments to me are extra hazards so I dont think I'll bother, bait box and rod for me! They are arranging a SOT course down at Oxwich (August I think) details on the "Anglers Afloat" forum. I have put myself down for that one, £25:00 worth every penny!

Brian.

Edited by brian_the_gas

In life, some times your the pigeon........... and some times your the statue!

Hi Brian. Thanks for the info. had a good paddle at Caswell today. Tried a bit of fishing with frozen sandeels. Not a bite, but the yak was drifting a lot. I don't know if that was the problem. It shouldn't deter most species. Perhaps I need an anchor. Didn't practice re-entry today, managed to stay on top ok and besides I don't have a wet suit yet and the water was cold. I'm ok paddling in deep water but am still afraid to practice capsising in cold water and on my own. I was more confident today though and covered a few miles.

Islwyn