Fish Thefts

Leon Roskilly

Absolutely!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I suspect that the prominence given to carp, rather than other species, when it comes to the discussion of fish thefts is driven more by commercial concerns than any other. As Mr Salter says:

"...Carp is worth millions to the economy because of the livelihoods it sustains in the fishing tackle industry and the fisheries, and the diversity from which farmers have been able to generate additional income."

I also feel that the Eastern European/Polish argument gets far too much press. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I have spent a lot of time in various fisheries all over the country and have never seen evidence of fish theft by people from this background. On the contrary, I have spoken to, and fished alongside (most recently last Wednesday) Polish/Eastern European people and have never, personally, seen or heard anything untoward.

Furthermore, most of what I have have read concerning the theft of fish by them seems to take the form of anecdotal evidence without supporting evidence. Some elements withing the angling press appear very keen to magnify this kind of thing in a particularly irresponsible way. I was appalled by the story which appeared on page 2 of the AT (14th July) about the tackle shop owner who said his customers wanted him to stop serving Eastern Europeans (which would be illegal, surely, on grounds of racial discrimination?). Blatant moral panic mongering.

What I have seen far too often is inappropriate treatment of fish by people of all kinds on commercial puddles. I include in this the keeping of carp in keepnets during carp matches on commercials, which are a real money spinner for them. This bad/lack of management of (some) commercials probably results in as much, if not more, mortality in carp stocks than the other problems. Why are these issues not analysed to the same extent?

Carp are far more expensive to buy than trout. A quick search on Google revealed some prices:

Carp at 10" (3lb) £4.50 per pound (Sport & Leisure Fisheries)

Rainbows 2-3lb £2.16 per lb

Browns 12-14" £3.00 each. (both Vicars Mill trout farm, Pembrokeshire).

Carp in the 9-14lb bracket are £12.50 per pound (Sport & Leisure Fisheries)

So a 10lb carp would cost £125 to replace.

I agree that it distorts the general picture if carp are used as a yardstick for all species in the debate. But I do feel it's driven by commercial pressure from interested businesses, rather than the concern for the welfare of the typical angler.

I also agree with other posters that available resources should be focused on the EA, and others, doing more to enforce existing laws rather than bringing in a further raft of regulations without ensuring that the means, and the will, to enforce them are put in place.

Regards,

Retiarius

http://www.retiarius-angling.blogspot.com/

Edited by Retiarius