Inspiration . . . . begs a question?

Sutton Warrior

Inspired by Janet's recent post 'A GOOD DAY' and her pictures, stirred my roots, they go back almost 60 years, to 'the moor' in Redbourn and my Father fashioning a hook from a pin, tying this to a length of button thread and cutting a hazel stick to use as a fishing rod, bread bait and minows. Progressing by the time I was 7 to the Grand Union canal, three penneth of 'gentles' in a tobacco tin, gudgeon, roach and perch.

Been hooked ever since. As I say Janet's thread and pictures brought back those earliest memories, the pictures, reminded me of more recent times in the 80's when I fished a 1 acre pond situated beside the railway bridge near Leighton Buzzard, Beds., that was the infamous location of the great 'train robbery'. It was also the site of me deciding on a wet October day in 1986, whilst returning a net full of fish . . . there has to be something better . . . ???

That led to 20+ years of trout and sea fishing, had a wonderful time, but the roots are still there :rolleyes:

I have the desire to re kindle my love of small pond and lake course fishing. Still got all the old tackle, plus some purchased in the early nineties when we as a family used to go to Bideford, North Devon, twice a year. We went to the same farm cottage, on which there was a small lake and a trout river. Up at 4am, fish till 8.30, the water was so close to the cottage that Kathy could call "breakfast", sit down by 9 o'clock, out by 10.30 for a family day! My Kathys ashes are scatted on that field overlooked by the cottage . . .

Yes I have some fond memories of my course fishing days.

. . . . So, I went to see my mate and tackle shop owner Gary Markham of Markhams Tackle in Ipswich. Asked the question, small lake, local? His reply, " we manage a lake just up the road in Kesgrave, disused gravel pit, on 2 acres, stocked with roach, rudd, tench, perch, bream, crucians and a few larger carp to 20lb". Sounds about right, so I went and had a nose . . .

1lakepegDSC_1253.jpg

Whilst there, I got talking to a couple of anglers, father and son I think? Yes, the stock is there, the larger carp dont get seen much, but there are some good tench and bream, with roach to a pound on a good day, my type of fishing, its not the size, its the pleasure on really light tackle, 'floats my boat', always has done.

2lakeanglersDSC_1260.jpg

Talked a little more, and they pulled out reels they still use . . . O'my, an 'Intrepid De-Lux', my first ever fixed spool, I paid 42/6d for it, for you young'uns thats 'forty two shillings and six pence', £2.12.5p in todays money. Dont know much about the 'Black Prince', same era, bit posher I think?

3IntrepidDeluxDSC_1262.jpg4IntrepidBlackprinceDSC_1263.jpg

So, a question, for those who live in the Ipswich area. I'm looking for, small, intimate lake/ponds, (dont need large carp), much prefer the waggler float, a 16-20 size hook, maggots, casters or sweetcorn, local'ish to Ipswich, fairly easy access, no root marches. Any suggestions . . . ????

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

SW,

I'm glad I gave you something to think about!

I love the look of that place. I know many don't like the wooden pegs etc, but as I fish with someone who is disabled, safe and accessible pegs are an absolute essential. That appears to have all the makings of a rather pleasant place to spend a day watching a float disappear (and hopefully a lot of stress along with it!) It looks just about the same size as my club lake. The only difference appears to be that it's obviously been established a lot longer, as there are some lovely mature trees there. I can see our lake looking just like that in a few years.

This was the walk to get there.

SS854258.jpg

This was my peg.

SS854260.jpg

I kept it simple...

SS854250.jpg

And this was my view....

SS854432.jpg

Just can't beat it!

Just the right size to be able to chat across the lake if necessary, or simply to be quiet and enjoy your time on the bank.

As for tackle? Well, the fish don't know what you're using, so dust off the kit you have stored away! There are several older anglers on our lake who fish with reels just like that, and I was speaking to one only yesterday who was using a lovely looking Edgar Sealey rod that was second hand when bought, and he'd had it over forty years. One of our members regularly uses a battered old Mitchell 300 reel, but still manages to outfish the rest of us tackle tarts with our brand name rods and reels.

It's all down to skill, knowledge, experience and watercraft, and I'm sure it will all come flooding back to you, along with some nice memories when you get your threepennorth of gentles (make that £2.40 to allow for inflation!) and settle down with a float rod...

I look forward to hearing your report!

Janet

Nice one, Cliff.

Gary's mentioned that lake a few times to me, yet I've still not got around to going there yet.

There's a bit about it here:

http://www.fizzwig.co.uk/markham/lake.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've just been on their website, looking at the gallery. It's about half as big again as my club lake, and looks just the sort of place I'd love to fish!

So what about it SW? You got your old rods dusted off ready for an outing this weekend?

Janet

Funny you should say that that Janet . . .

Here we go, all sorted this evening after work, some of my most recent tackle, had to dig around a bit in the shed, not sure where some of the really old tackle is, in the loft may be? But this is as it used to be up untill 1995, thats the last time this lot saw the light of day, found my old 'Berkhampsted Fishing Club' ticket for that year, along with my daughters Juniour card, she was 10 :P

GeneraltackleviewDSC_1265.jpg

All of the above would have not be purchased after 1991/92'ish . . . it surprised me how up to date it looks to my obviously unaware eyes??

The rod is a 13ft Shimano 390 match coupled with an Aero reel, gorgeous line lay. Wont be botherd with the 'pod and bite indicators', simple light float for me these days.

This is my reel of interest, a forerunner, one suspects of the modern carp reel, take off the drag as much as one wishes, the spool runs free or with some resistance according to the preset drag, the trigger gives full and variable clutch control, had a few decent fish on that. Never seen another one, any one used one?

Mitchel3550RDDSC_1266.jpg

Bought my rod licence on line this morning before going to work. The plan is, due to personal circumstances, I'm going to have a quiet couple of hours up the Orwell after the bass, need some reflection time in some things . . . Then on the way home swing round via 'Markhams Tackle', get some new line, trace, maggots etc., plus a ticket for the lake on Sunday!!!

Long time since I bought any light weight mono, always used 3lb main line, 1.5lb-2lb hook length, I presume that will still holds good on my sort of venue?

The keep net, I seem to remember there were rules on dimentions . . . ??? the one I have is 2m x 0.5m, any one tell me if thats OK, or is it a bin job?

SW

Nice one SW!

However, I'd be inclined to leave most of it behind! Rod and reel, landing net, a few wagglers and some shot...you don't need much more, unless you want to become a tackle tart like me! Maybe add a plummet and a disgorger? That's all you need to take you back and do a bit of real fishing!

Keep net? I wouldn't bother. I saw one or two anglers using one this past week, and wondered just why? They weren't fishing a match. It was incredibly warm....I'd rather release the fish than see them cooped up in those sort of conditions. I stand to be corrected, but I don't see any need for a keepnet whilst pleasure fishing...I will now don flak knickers and prepare for incoming.....!!!!

You don't need a keepnet to record your captures...you have a camera! Take a snap and let them go....

Long time since I bought any light weight mono, always used 3lb main line, 1.5lb-2lb hook length, I presume that will still holds good on my sort of venue?

Sounds good. I generally use 3ln mainline and lighter hooklinks. Largest hook I'd use for pleasure fishing is a 14....it's amazing how many gentles you can get on one if you really try! I've managed to land double figure carp on that setup. Not intentional, but rather nice!

Oh my! I've only been fishiing for a short time and I'm trying to tell someone how to do it. Ignore me SW!

Just go out and have a good day!

Janet

Nice one SW!

However, I'd be inclined to leave most of it behind! Rod and reel, landing net, a few wagglers and some shot...you don't need much more, unless you want to become a tackle tart like me! Maybe add a plummet and a disgorger? That's all you need to take you back and do a bit of real fishing!

Keep net? I wouldn't bother. I saw one or two anglers using one this past week, and wondered just why? They weren't fishing a match. It was incredibly warm....I'd rather release the fish than see them cooped up in those sort of conditions. I stand to be corrected, but I don't see any need for a keepnet whilst pleasure fishing...I will now don flak knickers and prepare for incoming.....!!!!

You don't need a keepnet to record your captures...you have a camera! Take a snap and let them go....

Sounds good. I generally use 3ln mainline and lighter hooklinks. Largest hook I'd use for pleasure fishing is a 14....it's amazing how many gentles you can get on one if you really try! I've managed to land double figure carp on that setup. Not intentional, but rather nice!

Oh my! I've only been fishiing for a short time and I'm trying to tell someone how to do it. Ignore me SW!

Just go out and have a good day!

Janet

Hay Janet, things are different these days, happy to 'bin the net', I agree with you. 16-20 was . . . is my normal choice of barbless spade hook, got this dinky little hook tier, and yes the cameras in the pocket . . . no DSLR on these trips.

The kit looks worse than it is, box and rod holdall serves my needs, 50-100yds walk from the car, what dont go in the box dont go.

SW