A "Plumbing the depth" question

Darren T

wow it seems like ages since i posted here. Works been manic over the last 8 months or so (averaging 300 hours a month!) so i just havn't had a chance to go fishing which is a shame.

Anyway, last week i ventured out on one of the nicest days of the year and caught a sole Tench (a nice 12-14" though) and i'm heading out again with a mate on Monday.

now my question is really just about a theory i have. Is there anything stopping me from attaching more than one float to my line to plumb the depth of my swim? IE, instead of attaching one as usual at say 4ft and then fiddling around to try and get a feel for the swim around me, could i not attach one at 4ft, one at 5ft and one at 6ft (as an example) with different tips to differentiate the corresponding depths.

I just thought that if the 5ft one is flat and i cant see the 4ft one then i know its about 4.5ft etc etc. that way i could plumb the whole area around me fairly quickly.

My only real concern is about tangles but i wont be casting probably more than 10-15ft out anyway.

thoughts?

My only real concern is about tangles but i wont be casting probably more than 10-15ft out anyway.

thoughts?

?????

are you seriously suggesting fishing with 3 wagglers on your line?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Thinking about it I believe the idea could have a dood deal of merit. It is a bit like using a marker rod except in this case you are searching in close. If say three floats are attached top and bottom at measured intervals down the line with a lead on the end of the line it would give a means to do a very quick search all round the swim and show very clearly what undulations there are. Fishing close in there should be no problem with tangles as it is an underarm cast. Would be even better if another rod was used to fish with as it would mean any depth change when trying different parts of the swim would be easy. In fact the more I think about it the more I like the idea and can think of a few Tench swims where it could be very useful.

I tried it out on Monday and it seemed to work very well. Sadly nothing on the lake was biting for anyone cet for some roach but never mind.

i had one float attached at 3ft the usual way, and then a couple of drennan clip on floats at 4 and 5ft and each with different coloured tips.

i found i could cast out a decent distance without any tangles and could easily tell how deep the water was at that point. I could then just reel in a few feet, allow the floats to settle again and see exactly where the undulations on the bed were, the shallows and the holes.

It does look a little odd at first but i'll definatly be doing it next time out. As it stands i have just got a house to decorate and the kids are all off school so i probably wont be back till september anyway!

I've never plumbed the depth. I've relied on the old boys before now. Saying that, I mainly fish for Pike so it's something I would do.

I like your idea and next time I hit the Canal I'm going to try it. I may have to curse you if I tangle lol :lol:

P-J

I am the one that got away! (From the men in white coats)