a new record!

zedhead

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Would you rather an truly amazing bit of angling history be kept under wraps for the selected few? '

Not really his or your decision to make I'm afraid. Having seen how the pike circus works, should I be in the same fortunate position, then I'd lie through my teeth to protect the source of the fish. The fact that it was caught and some lucky so-and-so can claim a 13lb eel is a good enough story in itself, so be thankful you got a 'scoop' on that. Where it was caught is of no real interest unless you're the anguila equivalent of Nigel Williams.

Good for the club if they manage to keep the location to themselves although I dare say its already common knowledge amongst the big eel fraternity.

[ 27. September 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

"'Would you rather an truly amazing bit of angling history be kept under wraps for the selected few? '"

Why not ?

That just about sums up how specimen hunting for carp, pike and barbel, has been conducted for quite a few years.....and still is.

Do Anglers Mail regularly campaign about this ?

Most of the Clubs I have belonged to have, "no publicity" rules and usually for good reason.

Despite being an "accidental" catch, at 13lb that is a big eel.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Glad to hear we're likely to hear more from you, Ben.

I agree about the angling history bit. I'm also interested in the story although I'm not an eel angler.

On the other hand I know what argyll means. If I were lucky enough to catch a record from any water other than Wingham I'd want to keep the venue quiet. As I control the access to Wingham there wouldn't be the same problem. In fact, the same goes with any big fish, record or not. However I would report the record fish itself.

I'd add that, with one exception, I've never been pressured to reveal the location of a water by any member of the press. I didn't in that case and was called selfish - but I can live with that!

[ 27. September 2005, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

quote:

Does it matter what it looked like and whether it becomes an official record?
I for one would like to see a picture of it. Who wouldn`t????? Its a bit like saying Suzi Perry is totally gorgeous and the world agreeing with me. I`m sure you`d want to see a picture then eh :D (well worth it.....)

As for the circus, I can`t really see that happening. There is the school of thought that eels don`t get recaptured for whatever reason (some facts would be nice, is it true they die? )

Anyway, who fishes for eels these days? A select few and thats all. I couldn`t imagine hundreds of anglers descending on a water to try and recapure a fish that has probably been in the place for donkeys years and only made one mistake in its life and has all the fashion status of specimen bleak fishing.

A few photos aren`t going to hurt are they???? Disguise the background if necessary but for gods sake we need to see a picture of the fish.

If it isn`t submitted to the BRFC then the club should hang its head in shame. Theres publicity for for the sake of it and publicity for history to record an incredible capture.

wolf.gif

ben_weir:

I can assure you that sour grapes is very far off of the mark!

We pulled out all the stops to make concessions with the controlling club in attempt to give the angling public the full story.

Would you rather an truly amazing bit of angling history be kept under wraps for the selected few?

It's a club water - do the angling public have a right to know as non-members? Select few- you pay your money and the select few become the not-so-select many.

'Truly amazing bit of angling history' - a piece of typical journalese, perhaps? it's a big specimen and do you really want it to suffer the same type of pressure that The Traveller and Two-Tone have been put under - especially for a species already suffering a serious decline in numbers if the angling press are to be believed?

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

It certainly is a magnificent capture and, as that record has stood for so long, one that merits some sort of exposure, in my opinion. If only to show that it's possible to beat such records.

I'm not aware of the ins-and-outs of it all, but I'd have loved to have seen some pics, even with the background cut out. Big eels look awesome!

Ben, is the story in AM this week?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE