Summer, lethargy and angling

tiddlertamer

In replying to Anderoos post on summer, lethargy and angling, which was recently lost, I fortunately wrote up my reply in Word rather than in Anglers Net - due to a dodgy wireless router which kept losing my internet connection just as I was popping in my final full stop when replying to a post :rolleyes: - meaning I can recover at least part of a thread otherwise lost to posterity. :)

Sorry but only Anderoos' original post and my answer are saved.

But here we go. An interesting subject to which regulars and newcomers alike will hopefully contribute.

Anderoo:

I love the summer but I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for fishing. The lack of reports and new fishy topics on here suggests I'm not alone, unless everyone's being all secret squirrel! Autumn, Winter and Spring will all see me totally absorbed in something or other, whether it's tench, bream, perch, chub, or something else, but what do you do in Summer?

What I'd really like to do is sit next to a quiet, pretty little pool and float fish sweetcorn next to the lilly pads, or close to the overhanging branches of an old willow, not expecting much but not caring - just relaxing in wonderful, calm surroundings.

But those lovely, quiet pools don't exist any more.

I had another little go at the tributary at the weekend, but soon became bored and went home. It's clearly a winter river, and I'm just going to have to wait. Come September/October I'll be spoilt for choice. Until then, I guess I'll crack on with the DIY :)

Tiddlertamer:

I tend to agree with most of your posts Anderoo but not with the sentiments of this one. Perhaps with only a couple of years of fishing under my belt, I lack your experiences and memories of fishing from years ago.

But I love fishing in the summer. Those long warm lazy days by a river bank. Stalking through the undergrowth armed with polaroids and looking in to the river to spot your prey.

Finding weed in that favourite winter swim but exploring elsewhere and then coming across a lovely gravely glide just perfect for sending a float down its course.

Warm, sultry evenings with the sun disappearing behind the trees and that magical time as the fish begin to feed with a vengeance.

Timeless days by the riverbank with hour upon hour to enjoy unlike those short winter days when the light fades all too soon.

Set against this I think of last winter and the bitter cold and the approach to the river bank to invariably find the water a dark tea stained colour and rushing through. And I would invariably blank.

Didn’t a famous fisherman (Fred J Taylor?) once say, and forgive me if I get the quote wrong, “I’ll be happy when I’ve had enough of this cold weather fishing!”

Now, in summer, I find myself catching again.

And this summer sees me planning visits to some of England’s greatest rivers.

And although winter may throw up specimen fish among many species, I do find myself catching more in summer.

Perhaps by the end of summer I will curse myself for not planning these visits during autumn. But for now I await with fevered anticipation my days by the side of a river.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Oh well done TT.

For anyone else wanting to find posts/topics, try one of the internet archive sites, you might get lucky.

I think summer might not be a lovely time for catching, but it can be a lovely time for fishing.

On opening day, conditions on one of my club rivers were awful for catching, barely flowing, gin clear, and as smooth as a babies derrière. Still, I had no end of fun trotting down a maggot for small perch, roach, and dace. Just as we were leaving, something huge swam buy, and I walked along side it for around 25 yards. Although I didn't managed to immediately ID it with certainty, by a process of elimination I'm sure it was a chub. I'm not yet very good at judging sizes of fish underwater, so 'huge' could mean anything from 3lb to 10lb! Where was it going? Where did it come from? Where does it live?

My nearest club stillwater is very pretty indeed, lily pads abound, and although very popular it is possible to go in quiet periods and almost have the water to oneself. Then it's just a question of carp to 15lbs, or trying to avoid them. The later takes some doing, as does the former on a float rod with 6lb line! Something rather magical about plopping your float just adjacent to a large lily leaf.

Geoff

Thanks TT :)

I think I just miss the fishing of my childhood. The rivers I fish definitely fish better from September/October onwards, and my favourite time of the year is that 'September slight chill' in the air, leaves turning, and vegetation finally being checked. The original post was really just a simple lament - I wish I enjoyed Summer fishing more than I do! I can't find any of those simple little pools in my memory to unwind next to.

Most of the time I suppose I'm trying to catch the bigger fish (with an awful lot of trotting for whatever thrown in to keep me sane :D ) but to me, Summer is about lazy, happy, simple days without any thoughts of anything as vulgar as PBs, targets, or specimens.

I just need one of those little lakes in my mind to become real :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I just need one of those little lakes in my mind to become real :)

They are out there! But these days they are very few and far between! I wish I could find one I can actually fish!

Rich